Click Here to Login

Old 12 July 2023, 07:32   #1

Town: Worcs-West Mids border
Boat name: .
Make: .
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 20HP EFI
Waterski / Wakeboarding gear

I'm still getting the hang of this boating lark, and it was my intention, when I'm a bit more confident that it won't kill my kids, to write a post here with a very long list of questions about how, where and with what to waterski / wakeboard.

But I've just seen this which looks to me to be a lot cheaper than you can get it elsewhere, and I'm wondering whether I should shell out for this now, for use in the future. The current Mrs Trello has said no, but I'm still tempted to do it on the sly, as I'm a sucker for a bargain.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spas...ckage/p/373897

For those people who ski, is this going to be a useful bit of beginner kit for towing teenage kids and is it (as it appears) a real bargain? Both the kids are in the 40-50kg range and they've skied before on holidays and been able to get up ok (albeit being towed by proper ski boats).
Old 12 July 2023, 10:20   #2

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
You really can "get going" with quite poor skis - I am sure this kit would do to get started and can see you could mono on them too. You'd want something a bit better to try slalom etc, but for having a go, I am sure it'd all be fine.

Just make sure the jacket is a decent fit & correctly adjusted for the people that use it. When I used to take friends out skiing, I'd make sure we all had a ski bouyancy aid each, anyway - just as a function of various abilities all being on the water together - you know what I mean.
Old 12 July 2023, 12:27   #3

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Waterski / Wakeboarding gear

I’d say yes, great value for a known brand ski.
Plenty good enough for beginner and even through to early intermediate if honest. At 170 would also consider suitable for average size adults and certainly not limited to only the 50-55kg range stated in spec. In fact a 170 is probably more suited to anyone over 50kg.
Old 13 July 2023, 08:37   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Teenagers will enjoy wakeboarding more long term, but not waterskiing so much. Get them hooked enough and you will be buying a "wakeboarding boat", or at least setting them up for play dates on somebody Else's boats. SIB's and RIB's might be fun to play around behind for a few minutes, but they are not serious boats to ride behind and learn more extreme acrobatics behind. Then again you don't even need a wake to land an invert.

Maybe rent equipment or buy them a lesson first?

Get a decent wakeboard with real bindings even if it means getting different sized bindings. None of those ankle busting bungee straps. Nothing wrong with used. A non stretch rope, and good quality life jackets made of neoprene. Nobody likes their nipples rubbed raw.

Water skiing is done at a higher speed and takes a lot more HP to get up. Wakeboarding can be done around 24.5MPH and since it is a wider board makes it easier to get up on. I can get up behind a 25HP pretty easily.

I rode behind my SIB once, but it was just for a few minutes, and it had to be run flat out to come close to maintaining speed as I pulled it all over the place, just cutting gently, not railing towards the wake like I would for a larger trick, or I would have pulled it 45* off kilter. Personally riding behind a SIB is not worth it.
Old 13 July 2023, 09:15   #5

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trello View Post
I'm still getting the hang of this boating lark, and it was my intention, when I'm a bit more confident that it won't kill my kids, to write a post here with a very long list of questions about how, where and with what to waterski / wakeboard.

But I've just seen this which looks to me to be a lot cheaper than you can get it elsewhere, and I'm wondering whether I should shell out for this now, for use in the future. The current Mrs Trello has said no, but I'm still tempted to do it on the sly, as I'm a sucker for a bargain.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spas...ckage/p/373897

For those people who ski, is this going to be a useful bit of beginner kit for towing teenage kids and is it (as it appears) a real bargain? Both the kids are in the 40-50kg range and they've skied before on holidays and been able to get up ok (albeit being towed by proper ski boats).
If you are close to Cheshire I could loan you a set of water-skis & ski rope, I've got a few sets I'm my garage, see how you get on without spending any money

Sent from my motorola edge 20 lite using RIB Net mobile app
Old 16 July 2023, 19:07   #6

Town: Worcs-West Mids border
Boat name: .
Make: .
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 20HP EFI
I'm actually on holiday at the moment and we all did some waterskiing and wakeboarding today! The kids got up with no problem (it took me, ahem, a little bit longer) and they are now addicted , so we will certainly be trying it at home.

Thanks all, for your advice, and thank you, whiskylee, for your kind offer - I may well take you up on it, and I'll pm you about it.

I'll certainly be asking further questions on this thread in the next few months.