Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 17 November 2013, 14:55   #1
NSS

Length: no boat
You Smile, We Smile, They Smile

Way off topic, but I hope you'll forgive me. We've just released a video about the work of Smile4Wessex, a small charity that supports projects at the Wessex Neurological Centre in Southampton. Only real relevance is the fact that we often admit patients who've had the misfortune to have boating accidents, but it's something very dear to my heart.

If you like the video, please share the link with your friends, family and colleagues, and help us put a smile back on many more faces.

Smile4Wessex Charity Promo - You Smile, We Smile, They Smile - YouTube
Old 17 November 2013, 16:33   #2
Dhf

You have my vote, thats a very touching video NSS, of a subject many are to scared to even think about, let alone work alongside, good on you sir, for making people aware of conditions that can happen to anyone anytime, shared and liked, by a c6 -c7 -t3-t4-t5-+ incomplete tetra survivor.

PS, Tell your patients there is a light at the end of the dark tunnel, but only positive thought and time can take you there.
Old 17 November 2013, 19:01   #3
NSS

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Saved my then 13-year old daughter's life in 2002. Sadly, they didn't even get a chance to save the 15-year old son of our closest friends (just 3 months later), but thousands have benefitted from the £750k that has been raised since.
Old 17 November 2013, 21:29   #4
Dhf

Well I think the work that people like your good self and the trust do is outstanding, that's terrible to hear your Daughter suffered at such a young age, I do hope she's coping well now, I'm lost for words for your friends son, other than my thoughts are with you all.
Old 20 November 2013, 21:20   #5
NSS

Hi mate, thanks for your kind words but it's the clinical staff that deserve praise. I should have said, my daughter made pretty much a full recovery and I was a proud dad as I walked her down the aisle earlier this month.
Old 20 November 2013, 21:46   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Small world..... My brother is in the band that made the soundtrack for the video...... A very worthy cause......
Old 20 November 2013, 22:01   #7
Dhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
Hi mate, thanks for your kind words but it's the clinical staff that deserve praise. I should have said, my daughter made pretty much a full recovery and I was a proud dad as I walked her down the aisle earlier this month.
Well thats fantastic news, congratulations are in order then , and yes the clinical staff certainly get my praise too.
Old 20 November 2013, 22:11   #8

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Looks like a great unit and cause like so many others around the UK , its just a shame when money is wasted on such stupid things "without getting into politics" by our Government regardless who is in power at the time.
Old 21 November 2013, 22:30   #9
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Small world..... My brother is in the band that made the soundtrack for the video...... A very worthy cause......
And a VERY good band. Small world indeed!
Old 21 November 2013, 22:38   #10
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Looks like a great unit and cause like so many others around the UK , its just a shame when money is wasted on such stupid things "without getting into politics" by our Government regardless who is in power at the time.
Which is why we won't fund anything that we believe should routinely be funded by the NHS. As one of our trustees puts it, we're not here to fund the cake, nor even the icing, we're here to put the cherry on the top. In practice that means funding cutting edge equipment or facilities, or novel research that would not otherwise get done.