Old 23 January 2024, 14:22   #1

Town: Lymington
Boat name: We are not keeping i
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard Yamaha
Electronic Flares

Hello all.

Dose anyone know where the current thoughts are on having electronic flares on commercial boats?. Without giving too much away we have a problem where we ship ribs around the world and although they have no requirement to be coded or licensed there is a requirement to have the equipment onboard as if they where licensed or coded and of course shipping flares is a risk.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Simon
Old 23 January 2024, 22:51   #2

Length: 3m +
I have no answers for you.
BUT... Which flare pack?
Old 24 January 2024, 14:14   #3

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
My understanding is that the RYA encourage them over pyro on leisure craft but a coded vessel needs the pyro for compliance.

Ive got 2 different LED units, one has been replaced twice due to damage (tiny bits of broken plastic) from vibrating around inside a jocky seat on a RIB in a grab bag though wrapped up in a couple of thermal hats and the additional £20 neoprene case.

They are fairly bright but would you notice them on a bright sunny day? I doubt it! Would they be seen 1 or even 2 miles of shore by someone walking their dog along the prom perhaps, would they instinctively dial 999 and ask for the Coast Guard in the same way a red parachute or red hand held would? Maybe....
Old 24 January 2024, 14:35   #4

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
I launched recently on land a flare which was expired .
Honestly - would not like to use them on a RIB or only with a long stick .
Think once the flare burned down you have no tubes anymore .
Old 24 January 2024, 14:42   #5

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrider View Post
I launched recently on land a flare which was expired .
Honestly - would not like to use them on a RIB or only with a long stick .
Think once the flare burned down you have no tubes anymore .
Have set of all different types of pyros from RIB’s, point down wind and turn you head away. Geckos with visor down is definitely recommended! The scariest on a RIB are definitely white anti collision death stars.
Old 24 January 2024, 15:44   #6

Town: Manchester
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill View Post
They are fairly bright but would you notice them on a bright sunny day? I doubt it! Would they be seen 1 or even 2 miles of shore by someone walking their dog along the prom perhaps, would they instinctively dial 999 and ask for the Coast Guard in the same way a red parachute or red hand held would? Maybe....
We have an electronic one and having played around with it a bit I'm going to add some proper ones ahead of the summer. Majority of our boating is in sunshine and near to shore, I really can't see anyone noticing an electric one on a lovely sunny day.

Reality is we have several lines of comms, boat VHF, handheld VHF, phone, PLB etc, but if shit is hitting fan and I need to set a flare off then I really want it to have a chance of attracting someone on the shore.
Old 25 January 2024, 17:51   #7

I've always thought for the bright sunny day scenario a orange smoke (or 3) might serve a much more useful function? Also less likely to burn my hand off...
Old 30 January 2024, 15:56   #8

Town: Lymington
Boat name: We are not keeping i
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard Yamaha
Thanks for all your feedback.

It is an interesting subject as unless you train people in firing off flares you would hope to go through your boating career without doing it. Where as the LED one you can drill and practise it all the time

The other big question for me is if someone saw a flashing light would they identify it as a distress flare? its pretty obvious with a parachute or hand flare, but a flashing light could be a body marker ? even with it flashing S.O.S

The jury is still out on weather this is the right tech but I feel for what we need it for in our organisation it will do the job just fine.

Many thanks
Old 30 January 2024, 21:05   #9

Length: no boat
Pyrotechnic flares were invented well over 100 years ago.
The world has moved on.
Read this RYA paper which reflects today’s communication and alerting options.
DSC/AIS/VHF/PLB/Satellite (Garmin In Reach type) etc are your friends now.

https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge/ext...technic-flares

For OPs query, surely a local supplier at destination can provide the customers needs?

If you’ve been trained to use pyrotechnics you’ll have been made used heavy protective gear. Do you really want to set off a fierce fire close to your tubes and fuel?
Old 31 January 2024, 10:07   #10
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonnuds View Post
Where as the LED one you can drill and practise it all the time
Not at sea, obviously?

Welcome back to RIBnet BTW, no see since 2014!
Old 31 January 2024, 10:13   #11
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonnuds View Post
The other big question for me is if someone saw a flashing light would they identify it as a distress flare? its pretty obvious with a parachute or hand flare, but a flashing light could be a body marker ? even with it flashing S.O.S
A bloke in a boat that had lost power and drifting in a remote area attracted my attention by waving his coat. He had flares and a radio on board. I had a fair idea that a waving coat was not a 'friendly gesture'. I think if the observer has some experience, they'll be curious. A lot of people would need a DM to their phone to take much notice!
Old 31 January 2024, 12:40   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>attracted my attention by waving his coat

That is very much my philosophy that most people at sea keep a lookout for the unusual actions of others, as do many folks who live/walk at the cost. So in any area that is populated at all by others the simplest of actions if you have problems may be all that's needed.

There are so many layers of calling for help and in our case depending on circumstance they would include shouting/hand gestures to a nearby craft, we carry an extending boathook which a spare orange coat or drogue could be attached to for longer distance attention getting, we carry a gas canister air horn, there is the radio, even the mobile phone in good areas and the PLB of last resort.

We do not operate in the dark but if caught out we carry an LED "laser" flare which I think would get the attention of the same person that might notice a waving person or coat etc in daylight. We have given up flares having done an on land test years ago and been horrified at the fire spitting nature of them when fuel and PVC tubes are considered.

We often alter course a little if someone at sea looks as if they are not totally OK so we get a closer look without intruding. Last time it was a 20ft yacht that looked to be drifting with sails down but it turned out they are having lunch anchored in a rather odd location so we passed by with a wave. Before that on a very blustery day close to the edge of our comfort zone in the Aerotec we noted a small old sailing dinghy that looked at risk of being overwhelmed by conditions so kept an eye on them then returning to the slip at a similar time chatted to find they were a very experienced 60 something couple who were pushing their old plywood dinghy hard but well within their ability.

Also we always go over to any odd object we notice bobbing in the water... just in case.

Yep my late dad always taught me from childhood to keep my eyes peeled for others at sea.
Old 03 February 2024, 22:41   #13

Town: North Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mary Olwen
Make: Humber
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I've always thought for the bright sunny day scenario a orange smoke (or 3) might serve a much more useful function? Also less likely to burn my hand off...
That's the reason you get 2 x red handhelds and 2 orange smokes in the standard inshore flare pack.