Old 22 June 2023, 17:39   #1

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Unnames
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp
Safety Boat for water events

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a Avon Rover 3.4m with 15hp outboard to use for safety cover for local events. Swim events, paddleboard events, triathlons etc.

I have rya level 2 powerboating the part where I am getting stuck is on the licence/BSS part.

We would use exclusively on the sea, or tidal waters/estuary. I understand we would need local go ahead from local authorities etc.

Can anyone help

Thank you
Old 22 June 2023, 18:40   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate436 View Post
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a Avon Rover 3.4m with 15hp outboard to use for safety cover for local events. Swim events, paddleboard events, triathlons etc.

I have rya level 2 powerboating the part where I am getting stuck is on the licence/BSS part.

We would use exclusively on the sea, or tidal waters/estuary. I understand we would need local go ahead from local authorities etc.

Can anyone help

Thank you
Dont need a license or bss for coastal, afaik the event organisers should decide what competency they want for crews. I'm assuming its voluntary stuff & not paid? Certainly the sailing club our kids sailed with just wanted pb2 & an in house safety boat course although the rya do a safety boat course but its more aimed at dinghy sailing than swimming/ paddle boarding
Once money starts changing hands then things tend to get more onerous
Old 23 June 2023, 08:20   #3

Length: 3m +
Picking a specific boat for the second hand market is always narrowing your field.

How did you arrive at this boat choice?

3.4m is small. I suspect shorter than a paddle board! While that's not an issue, because you can tow a yacht with a 3.4, I'm wondering why!?

Standard paddle board recovery would be to bring it on board and place it across the boat behind the helm. Is there space? Is there space for crew? Is there space for casualty. How many casualties? Can you lie a casualty down?

The sports you mention presumably take place in benign conditions at sea. But you need to be able to cope when the conditions deteriorate with tide too.

You will presumably be double manned before you pick up any casualty. With fuel for the day, anchor first aid kits etc.

I've known inland sailing club use 3m4 rigiflex with 15hp tiller steers but not sea based clubs.