Old 03 August 2024, 07:31   #1

Town: Blandford Forum
Boat name: spearfish
Make: Spearfish
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol
Suzuki DF6A Problem

HI, I've recently acquired a Suzuki df6a (2018) 6 HP four stroke to accompany a little sib ( spearfish 450). I've taken it out quite a few times (locally in Poole Harbour) and every time the engine cuts out after going steadily for some time. I've discovered that I can stop the engine stall if I quickly hand pump the primer bulb on the fuel line from the external petrol feed, if I catch it in time ... and then keep the engine going if I occasionally hand prime as I'm going along.

So I'm assuming a fuel delivery issue ... ?. I've cleaned the carb/jet (which was pretty clean anyway). I've Inspected the fuel pump (looked mint) and used a different external fuel tank all to no avail. Just wondered if anyone out there has had similar issue or could provide some pointers as to how to resolve this issue.

Was hoping to go further afield for some inshore fishing but don't have the confidence in the engine at the moment.

Thanks in advance
Old 03 August 2024, 10:59   #2

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Take the fuel line off the carb and see if you can freely pump fuel through using the primer. If the fuel delivery to the carb is flowing well then I'd move onto the float valve and see if there's any restriction there.

The fact that using the primer bulb catches the stall suggests there's a restriction in the carb bowl filling. It could also be a float height issue.
Old 03 August 2024, 16:12   #3

Town: Easdale
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Check the hoses for any nicks or cuts. Deffo fuel. If it’s not float height could well be sucking some air through a hole that shouldn’t be there. Favourite is next to metal clips
Old 03 August 2024, 17:39   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Someone tell me if this thinking is wrong...

So left to its own devices the outboard eventually fails to produce enough fuel at the carb jets to keep it running. Yet pumping the primer immediately resolves this. So surely jets and float etc are working OK... it's in the fuel delivery to the carb inlet.

Could it be the fuel pump is either looking OK but faulty so eventually fails to meet demand or fighting an air leak as mentioned above... and the hand primer having (in my opinion) massively more pumping ability than a 6hp's fuel pump is able to supplement a faulty fuel pump or have the ability to overcome a small air leak.

Easy for me to say as I have a vac tester but I'd be testing the fuel line with vacuum... and having a good look at the primer too. Could the primer have a fault that stops the pump pulling through but was not a factor if hand squeezed.
Old 03 August 2024, 19:05   #5

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Someone tell me if this thinking is wrong...
So surely jets and float etc are working OK... it's in the fuel delivery to the carb inlet.
Jet, yes. Float, no. The fuel pressure when squeezing the bulb can push past the float valve.
Old 05 August 2024, 17:12   #6

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Does the tank have a vent cap? Is it open? What happens if the fuel tank cap is loosened or removed? How long are the fuel lines?

I would be looking at the fuel system from the fuel pump back to the tank.
Old 08 August 2024, 07:31   #7

Town: Blandford Forum
Boat name: spearfish
Make: Spearfish
Engine: petrol
Thank you for your reply

Tags
suzuki