Old 27 July 2024, 17:41   #1

Town: annan
Boat name: Viper
Make: ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard 60hp
Suzuki Outboard Key Fob

Hi
Getting new Suzuki outboard fancy the key less ignition fob but been advised to go for conventional key anybody got experience with this ?
Cheers
Old 27 July 2024, 21:56   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul barclay View Post
Hi
Getting new Suzuki outboard fancy the key less ignition fob but been advised to go for conventional key anybody got experience with this ?
Cheers
Keyless cars pi$$ me off can't imagine why youd want a keyless boat what would you do with the fob? Keep it on your person? If you end up overboard how do the crew restart to recover you, or do you chuck it on the dash where it could slide off or be lost , you could tie it off to a lanyard which will flap and clatter about. Surely sticking a key in a hole where it can stay safe & can be used to restart or be removed when required is a far better option. It probably simplifies the system too & imho simple is best on a boat
Old 28 July 2024, 04:11   #3

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Hi
Cheers
Don’t do it. That is the last thing you want on a Rib or boat in a marine environment. Keep it simple
Old 28 July 2024, 08:11   #4

Length: no boat
I have one, it just works.
Spare key is attached to spare kill cord, in case I fall out with fob in my pocket.
Normally the key lives in a dry bag near the console.
If you forget or misplace the key you can still start the engine by entering a code that you choose through the digital gauge.
Old 28 July 2024, 08:32   #5

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF15
I'd agree with going keyed. Keyless is added complexity and cost for no real benefit and just means more expensive keys.
Old 28 July 2024, 09:36   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I have the conventional Suzuki key/killcord setup & it works fine. Personally I wouldn’t touch anything “keyless” especially on a boat. Keyless cars are bad enough & I’d actually pay extra NOT to have a keyless ignition system. The last thing you want on a boat is another layer of tech designed to stop the engine running. KISS!!
Just my 2 penneth fwiw.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2024, 09:47   #7

Town: Colchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I have the conventional Suzuki key/killcord setup & it works fine. Personally I wouldn’t touch anything “keyless” especially on a boat. Keyless cars are bad enough & I’d actually pay extra NOT to have a keyless ignition system. The last thing you want on a boat is another layer of tech designed to stop the engine running. KISS!!
Just my 2 penneth fwiw.
For once we seem to be in total agreement
Old 28 July 2024, 10:18   #8
RIBnet admin team

Makes you think
Old 28 July 2024, 10:22   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Hi
Cheers
Out of curiosity, who advised against? Dealer or user or non- user?
Old 28 July 2024, 19:08   #10

Hi
Prefer not to say who advised against key less. I thought fob in pocket next to wallet which I have never lost unlike keys. Code as back up what can wrong !!!!! Come on guys keep it simple If it were simple there would be 2 control cables pair of carbs set of points and a piece of rope in case of flat battery.
Thanks everyone
Old 28 July 2024, 19:37   #11
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Prefer not to say who advised against key less.
'Nuff said *coughs* dealer! *coughs*
Did they say WHY they didn't like it?

Interesting responses there - two possible marine engineers, one plain engineer, one actual user and, well, yeah, somebody else. Only the actual user likes the idea. I had a keyless engine for eight seasons. Keyless with no fob - so code or button only. All fly-by-wire natch. It worked flawlessly - I'd imagine that adding a fob into the equation wouldn't have made it much worse/better. I see Yamaha have a similar deal, with their focus being security - no fob, no go - dunno is the Suzi the same.

As an aside, I bought a BEV 18 months ago. I tow a boat with it, recovering from saltwater slips. I get a lot of, um, advice from some very sensible people who's opinion I generally respect, telling me that my 265hp AWD vehicle (wait for it) DOESN'T WORK. For all the usual reasons.

How very dare I
Old 28 July 2024, 20:29   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I'm happy with the keyless tech in the car because they are already full of similar or greater tech for every system... it's just where to put the damn fob. Old days there was a perfect fob holder... on the end of the key in the ign.

So now it might be in the cup holder, the door pocket, my jeans, my coat, Mrs F's handbag or pocket.... or on the path 100mls away where I started from. The choice is endless and I never turn the engine off without seeing where it is in case it's the latter. I do have a friend this happened to and it was super frustrating.
Old 29 July 2024, 13:22   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Hi
Prefer not to say who advised against key less. I thought fob in pocket next to wallet which I have never lost unlike keys. Code as back up what can wrong !!!!! Come on guys keep it simple If it were simple there would be 2 control cables pair of carbs set of points and a piece of rope in case of flat battery.
Thanks everyone
Nothing wrong with control cables. Judging by all the clogged carb threads, DFI is much more reliable than carbs, and I don't think you're going to pull start a +150hp 4 stroke. These are all improvements on existing systems to eliminate known problems. I really can't see what a keyless system brings to the party tbh. Back when I used to work for a living, I made good money sorting out issues that had been introduced into systems by spotty graduate software engineers. These were generally "frills, bells & whistles" that had been implemented "because they could". The problem with a lot of tech is that it's invented & then someone has to find a use for it to justify the R&D costs.
This has to be a classic example "replace voice commands & apps with a click of a button" .....
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2024, 21:15   #14

Hi
After a bit more investigating overwhelming advise is key
thanks everyone
Old 30 July 2024, 22:11   #15

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
5 years with a Suzuki key fob, no problem at all.

Probably jinxed it now though.

Tags
outboard, suzuki