Old 26 July 2024, 14:28   #1

Town: Northumberland
Boat name: Honda-Seapro
Make: Seapro
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20D
2016 Mercury 4stroke smoking?

Hi all hope all is well.

I've decided to get back into boating after I had to put things on hold for a while as the kids arrived.

I still have the same 3m sib but a new to me second hand motor. The motor is a 2016 mercury 4 stroke 15hp.

The previous owner had it recently serviced at the main dealer in June and has relevant paper work. Motor has only been used in fresh water at Windermere.

On its first outing today everything seemed spot on except after sitting at higher rpm range for a few minutes to my fishing destination I noticed as I dropped off the plane to idle speed I noticed some greyish smoke coming from the exhaust port below the cowl as well as the same greyish smoke bubbling up from the exhaust port on the prop.

Tell tale is running strong and warm to touch but definitely not hot so I'm assuming everything is in good working order. I'm getting no alarms or warnings. Oil is still a gold colour and not frothy or contaminated. Oil level is also stable at mid way point of dipstick, few small bubbles on dipstick but I'm told that is normal.

This smoking only seems to happen after I restart my drift and I get up on plane and hit the higher rpms but only noticeable once I drop back down to idle speed. I can't quite tell if the smoke has a slight oily smell or rich fuel smell but it does have a hint of something. Fuel is totally fresh E10 just filled yesterday.

Once I got home to flush engine it fired right up at idle and no smoke whatsoever.

Engine performance seems spot on with plenty of power and responsive.

If this where a 2smoker then it's just how they work but with this (new to me) modern motor 4stroke I'm a little concerned that the greyish smoke could be something a tad more sinister. I did lay the motor down on its correct side for transportation. Temperature this morning was 14 degrees so certainly not chilly to put it down to cold start condensation (I don't think).

Does anyone have any idea on wether this phenomenon is normal or does this need investigating?

Thanks in advance guys ��
Old 26 July 2024, 14:55   #2

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi, I had the 15 efi Merc now got the 20 efi Merc. I'm not 100% certain, but I seem to recall light grey exhaust fumes from the exhaust port at idle.
I won't be using the Merc for a few weeks, but when I do I'll check it and let you know.
Old 26 July 2024, 15:00   #3

Town: Northumberland
Boat name: Honda-Seapro
Make: Seapro
Engine: Honda BF20D
Ah that would be brilliant thank you!