Old 26 September 2023, 21:07   #1
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Aspen fuel

Well finally going for the Aspen trial. Fingers crossed one more outing soon and then pack up for the winter with Aspen run through the Tohatsu 9.8.

With our unpredictable responsibilities the OB might get started next April... or not until August so it will be good to know it's had Aspen fuel run through and Aspen mix left in the tank.

It will be interesting to see if there is any difference at all in running on that final trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aspen trial.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	143816  
Old 27 September 2023, 09:11   #2

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Hi David, I’m interested to see you are using Aspen fuel, too.
The dealer who services my outboard has been keen to extol its virtues, especially in terms of reducing carb issues caused by degraded fuel. My Suzuki has a 1 litre integral tank, which is used for the Aspen. I start and finish each outing on it, using the other tank for unleaded in between. My logic is that’s it’s a fair compromise of cost versus engine protection. The engine starts much more readily since doing this( possibly partially because you don’t need to pump fuel with the bulb to get started).
The dealer uses Aspen when servicing, so he’s obviously convinced, especially for smaller engines. I’ve still got a small amount of Aspen in the can from 2 years ago, so it’s not working out too expensive( current price locally is £24 per 5 litres).
I had some problems with my previous Mariner 30 efi, which was diagnosed as fuel degradation, and solved by using ethanol free fuel. They claim that aspen is a cleaner burn too, and reduces pollution.
Hope you find it worth it.
Old 27 September 2023, 09:36   #3
RIBnet admin team

I'm so interested to see if I can detect any difference in running such as will the idle mixture screw setting need to be different... will the smoke level be any different with he Aspen/Quicksilver oil mix etc.

Re cost 5l at £24 for the end of the season is nothing in the scheme of boating/life costs. In truth even a few 12l tanks of Aspen over a year's season would be fine by me for the pleasure of getting on the sea.

I'm collecting more from a big farm machinery supplier in a day or so... they sell most of each batch as it arrives so it's proving really popular with the small machinery guys.
Old 27 September 2023, 11:04   #4
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I'm collecting more from a big farm machinery supplier in a day or so... they sell most of each batch as it arrives so it's proving really popular with the small machinery guys.
I've been using Aspen for long term storage of small engines now for a while. It certainly smells different in the 4T application, both in the flesh and under internal combustion. I buy it in 5L plastic cans from an outfit that supply a lot of big brand gear to commercial and agricultural users. The counter staff have mentioned that a number of their "saw" clients use Aspen exclusively. This may be in certain tools that don't get a run on every job, I don't know.

Despite that many debates on here about fuel - it remains one of the main causes of small engine issues after a break in use. Water from ethanol and peeling "varnish" have given me issues at different times. Drying carb bowls with metal parts has caused rust in storage, with predictable results. Keeping a splash of Aspen in an almost empty tank should prevent these kind of problems.
Old 27 September 2023, 11:19   #5

Town: Dewlsh
Boat name: Gadget
Make: Osprey - Eagle 5.6m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DT100
I’ve never used Aspen on any of my OB’s but have on my garden tools for several years now. These tools can sit for months in the shed. A prime and a couple of pulls, and they’ve started flawlessly every time, running smoothly thereafter.

As to the fumes produced, one of the key selling points of alkylate petrol is the massive reduction in the toxic hydrocarbon emissions. Using a chainsaw, often with the exhaust close to my face, the fumes are significantly ‘more pleasant’ than a conventional petrol/oil blend.
Old 27 September 2023, 11:30   #6

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
With the demise of ethanol free unleaded think we may also give this a go. Up to now been running Esso Synergy Supreme as ethanol free despite labelled 5% at the pump, but as from September they can’t confirm this to be the case.
Although never had any issues in the past, reckon 5l of Aspen in a tank will be sufficient to run through all of our motors at the end of the season.
Good thinking Mr F [emoji106]
Old 27 September 2023, 11:40   #7
RIBnet admin team

>>Esso Synergy Supreme as ethanol free despite labelled 5% at the pump

Yes I'd been fitting in a call at a specific fuel station when nearby to get that same fuel for a while now but as you say Sept saw the end of it. Of course I'm happy with normal 5% premium mid season but our issue is always which of the last couple of planned runs will actually be the very last before winter storage.

Interestingly I noted in the manual the Johnson stated it was designed for up to 10% ethanol.... not that long term potential storage issues would have been negated.
Old 27 September 2023, 14:11   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Used aspen for my Aux no probs I now empty all my boat tanks at the end of the season
Old 27 September 2023, 15:55   #9

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: floater
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard tbc
I swapped my Lawn mower to Aspen and after 3 years, she always starts first pull after a winter layup.
I picked up a 4HP outboard a few months ago ... Had some minor work to do to get her running and I have been running her on Aspen2 for just to run her in.
So far, she has run full throttle flawlessly for 2 hours. I paid her up for 4 weeks, refilled with Aspen and she fired almost immediatly. Well Impressed.

Plan is to winterise her using Aspen .. Plus it lasts 18 months plus
Old 05 October 2023, 21:27   #10

Town: Falun
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk 2c
Engine: Suzuki DF20A
I've run many chainsaws and my lawnmower using Aspen for a long time and it is great!

A while back I wanted to run my Tohatsu 18hp 2-stroke on Aspen and Triboron 2-st lubricant to make it better for the environment and smell free. It ran almost great. At full throttle it sounded a little lean and it didn't run perfectly giving full power. I found this strange and switched to 98-octane 5% ethanol fuel, again with Triboron. It immediately ran great again without smell or smoke, thanks to Triboron.

After all that I learned that Aspen and similar fuel has a little less density than normal gasoline, making carbureted engines run a little lean. With chainsaws this is not a problem since they have adjustable carbs.
Old 05 October 2023, 22:27   #11
RIBnet admin team

Well today's outing was run entirely on Aspen 4T mixed myself at 50:1 with Quicksilver 2T oil. There was no difference in outright performance or the way our Tohatsu 9.8 ran. I will pull the plugs tomorrow to see if there looks to be any difference in the combustion.

I'd noted Aspen could on average be a little lower density than pump fuel but it's barely significant. For example Aspen is in the range 690-720 kg/m3 compared to UK BP Unleaded 710-750 kg/m3. So Aspen at the higher end could exceed BP at the lower end.

I'm happy it has not changed my outboard's performance and good to know I could leave the motor and its tank of fuel for at least two years with no issues.
Old 05 October 2023, 22:30   #12

Town: Falun
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk 2c
Engine: Suzuki DF20A
Sounds great! I would run all small motors on Aspen if they run ok, just to get that hassle free operation.
Old 09 October 2023, 16:40   #13

Town: Devon
Make: Zodiac Cadet 340
Engine: Yamaha 25hp 2t
RIBase
Anyone tried removing ethanol using water as per YouTube videos ?
Old 09 October 2023, 18:31   #14

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Good to know guys. When my mum stole the use of my new battery mower I popped out and bought B&Qs very cheapest petrol mower.

It came plastered all over with notices about the the fuel….putting in additives…not leaving fuel it for over a few weeks!….. Blah blah blah

Even came with a little pump for emptying the tank if not being used for a couple of weeks!

I’ve never emptied a mower come winter in my whole life without any problems at all.

But with all the warnings I might give this stuff a go in it for the last cut in case there’s issues as can’t see getting all the fuel completely out, and any of this stuff left within should be fine.
Old 09 October 2023, 18:49   #15
RIBnet admin team

Never worried about a mower or any other small equipment. Even a car that stood stored in the garage doing just 6mls a year to go to MOT and on the same tank of fuel for several years.

But a single outboard at sea is relied on a bit more than all the other engines so I'm willing to go the extra mile over winter. Come summer then I'll just use pump petrol.
Old 10 October 2023, 01:31   #16

Make: Newport
Length: under 3m
Engine: Outboard
Guys... please educate an ignorant American... what is Aspen fuel? Is it an fuel stabilizer additive, some sort of ethanol free gasoline/petrol or fuel system engine cleaner? In the states we use a product called Stabil, or Seafoam, or some other brand of fuel stabilizer for fuel system winterization. And I fog my 2 stroke carbureted engines with an aerosol lube spray.

Fortunately ethanol free gas/petrol is still the only kind sold at US marine fuel stations. It's sometimes 50% more costly, but its cheaper than draining a tank of 50 or more gallons of phase separated fuel and a fuel system rebuild! It's also available at many regular gas stations in most of the US for gas powered recreational and power tools and equipment.
Dadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2023, 04:42   #17

Town: Colchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Never worried about a mower or any other small equipment. Even a car that stood stored in the garage doing just 6mls a year to go to MOT and on the same tank of fuel for several years.

But a single outboard at sea is relied on a bit more than all the other engines so I'm willing to go the extra mile over winter. Come summer then I'll just use pump petrol.
I agree for some people Aspen is a very good idea for small outboards if you only have a few but for general engines depending how many you have it is rather over the top.

I think I am correct that aspen is about 4 times the price of normal pump petrol
Old 10 October 2023, 09:43   #18
RIBnet admin team

>>I agree for some people Aspen is a very good idea for small outboards if you only have a few

So there you are... I never have more than two outboards so you agree it's a very good idea.

It's 3 times the price so to fill my tank with Aspen for the last outing and over-winter storage (then return to pump fuel next season start) will cost just £20 extra a year. Insignificant really.

Dadeo Aspen is an ethanol free ultra clean "petrol" made in Sweden and aimed at the portable garden machinery market. It has a can storage life of 5 years and 2 years in a motor. It has to be bought in cans and from garden machinery/farming type places. It's selling very well in the UK.

Interesting that you have availability of ethanol free pump fuel in the USA.
Old 10 October 2023, 09:57   #19
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeo View Post
some sort of ethanol free gasoline/petrol or fuel system engine cleaner?
It's a brand of alkylate petrol (gas) available in Europe. No ethanol, reduced aromatics, long life (years)
Old 10 October 2023, 17:00   #20

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
I agree for some people Aspen is a very good idea for small outboards if you only have a few but for general engines depending how many you have it is rather over the top.

Despite running 7 portable motors ranging from 2.3 to 20hp, incl. a couple of two strokes, reckon this year I’m following Fenlander’s lead and trying Aspen for the first time. A 5 litre can at £23 should do a quick run through for all, 3L in a tank for the four strokes and a 2L mix in a tank for the smokers.

Worth adding never had any problems in the past with ethanol free premium or even 5% ethanol mix, drained or not.