alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Bravo 3 out-drive: Replacing gear cable bellow

Folks,
Found a crack in the gear cable bellow on the Bravo 3 out-drive which is letting water trickle into the engine bay.

My question is, is replacing this an easy task? Does the out-drive have to come off?

My understanding (taking into consideration i'm normally a Volvo lad) is that I just need to remove the 3 screws facing the picture (1 screw below the Bravo decal, 2 above), release the linkage and pull the cable back.... but i'm not certain of this.

I'd appreciate any advise.

See below pics of the out-drive and the bellow

Old 30 August 2012, 19:23   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Seahawk 3
Make: Parker 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 1.7 Mercruiser
I was looking at doing mine a while back but they transpired to be ok in the end. Best thing to do is to do a search on youtube and there are some good videos to watch. Also, do a search for "alpha one drive, bellows job" as they're pretty similar. You'll need a special tool to remove the hinge pin and some bellows cement. Good luck
Old 30 August 2012, 20:07   #3

Town: Argyll
Boat name: Helena
Make: Birchwood
Length: 5m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 250hp
Hi still quite new to this but you need to take the leg off then there's a retaining but which holds the cable into the bell housing. Once you've undone that you can pull the cable out the back of the bell housing. This then allows you to undo the jubilee clip holding the bellows on then pull the bellows back off over the cable. You can then slide the new bellow over the cable and put it all back together. Just be careful not to over tighten the retaining nut on the cable as it can break the end of the cable. Also be careful not to damage the cable as you remove and reinstall the leg itself as its heavy and awkward. Hope this is of some help. Peter