Old 17 August 2023, 06:18   #1

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: floater
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard tbc
engine dilemmas...

Engine choices... ?

Ok, so ive just recomissioned a zodiac Futura 380 fastroller, with the air floor.
She is a 2000 boat, tubes like new, and has seen very little use.

Have completely removed and reglued the entire floor.

However the transom bonds to the tubes seem sound, so i have not bothered with those.

The boat is plated for 60kg and max 25hp, but im wondering if putting something like a 25 is going to be asking too much .

So. If i go smaller, what is the general consensus ?

Ive run her on a river with a 4hp and she is fine, but i dont fancy running a 4hp on open water (Solent, IOW, Jurassic Coast etc)
Old 17 August 2023, 08:18   #2

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi, are you going to trailer the SIB with the OB fitted or are you going to be a blow & go sibber?
Old 17 August 2023, 09:02   #3

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: 2 stroke 25hp
MMSI: 235933026
How much weight on it as well, I had a 15hp 2 stroke on one and it went well with 3 adults on it.
Old 17 August 2023, 09:33   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I’d want to feel all the glue was up to full strength if taking to sea. Having said that a 15 will transform the performance over a 4 and there’s no doubt it would cause less stress all round than a 25.
Old 17 August 2023, 10:38   #5

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: floater
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard tbc
To answer ... i have a trailer, but if i blow and go or trailer will depend if im taking the family and dogs or just heading out on my own.

My pump connects to the trailer electrics, and will fully inflate all 3 air chambers and the high pressure floor in less than 5 minutes.

Im not going to keep the motor on the transom when on the trailer, ill probably either put it inside the boat, or in the boot (again, will depend on the number of passengers).

Potentially she will have as much as 4 adults and 2 dogs in her, but may just be myself or one of the kids ... its situation dependant

Im leaning towards a 15 2 stroke, but if an 18 tohatsu came up, i dont think i would turn it down.
Old 17 August 2023, 11:00   #6

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Personally I wouldn't want to be attempting to lift a 25hp 4s at around 55kg - 60kg (dry), I say attempt, I know I couldn't!
I have a 20hp efi (47kg) and can just about manage it. Fitted on the back of an SD360, 4 adults (no dogs) and very little kit, approx 320kg. It gets on the plane and falls off, back on the plane and falls off again, to put it bluntly it's horrible! and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
I suspect your fastroller will perform better, but I wouldn't expect brilliant performance.
I agree with Fenlander, I would want the assurance that all the glue was up to it. If the glue has failed in one part of the SIB, the rest must be suspect.