Old 25 September 2013, 20:57   #1

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Engine service history

Hi Folks, just looking for your opinions / experience

If you were looking at buying a 2003 used boat and engine with 300 + hours on it would you expect to see a full engine service record (dates/engine hours and details of each service with invoices)? The reason why I am asking is that I have been looking at several boats over 10k and the responses I have had from the seller is to contact the marine mechanic myself to obtain service records which is vague and not in writing or I have had written confirmation that the boat was serviced in a 7 year period when the owner requested the service (no details of when or what)

I don't think its a lot to ask for and the monies involved means I can't afford to get a troublesome motor what are you views please?

Thanks
Old 25 September 2013, 21:04   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Sorry, but look elsewhere.

Any legitimate seller who truly wants to sell their boat will have a detailed history of work done, including servicing to date, plus they'll take the time to show you it.

If you have to do the donkey work, then simply give the seller a wide berth!
Old 26 September 2013, 00:28   #3

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Some of us have never had our engines professionally serviced... Look at the manual, between 0 and 300 hrs its changing oil, impeller, gear box lube, a few grease points, possibly plugs, possibly a valve adjustment. Most RIB owners (as opposed to a yacht) owners are pretty handy and how hard is all that?
Old 26 September 2013, 06:10   #4

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Engine: Yamaha F150
Thanks for the response guys

The 2nd boat I am enquiring about the owner is doing the donkey work however he has come back to me with the a letter stating that from 2003 (new) - present date that it was serviced when requested by the owner (the reason for this arrangement was the marine mechanic was a relative as they have same surname) Although the engine is out of warranty like captain jack states there are only minor things that needed doing however it feels like I am still relying on the owner to tell the truth and may effect resale value of the boat should I purchase it.

Thanks
Old 26 September 2013, 07:15   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Even if you did "Self Service" you'd have receipts for plugs, oil, impeller etc. Just not the labour. I keep all the receipts for what I spend on the boat, just to scare myself now & then
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2013, 10:56   #6

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
. Most RIB owners (as opposed to a yacht) owners are pretty handy and how hard is all that?
ive a rib and a yacht
most people i meet with yachts are good with engine ect
what about motor boaters
Old 26 September 2013, 11:25   #7

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Even if you did "Self Service" you'd have receipts for plugs, oil, impeller etc. Just not the labour. I keep all the receipts for what I spend on the boat, just to scare myself now & then
Old 26 September 2013, 15:54   #8

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
Thanks for the response guys

The 2nd boat I am enquiring about the owner is doing the donkey work however he has come back to me with the a letter stating that from 2003 (new) - present date that it was serviced when requested by the owner (the reason for this arrangement was the marine mechanic was a relative as they have same surname) Although the engine is out of warranty like captain jack states there are only minor things that needed doing however it feels like I am still relying on the owner to tell the truth and may effect resale value of the boat should I purchase it.

Thanks
I think you are better off having your mechanic (or surveyor) take a look at the engine. Oil analysis if you feel so inclined, compression, etc. That'll tell you as much or more about its condition than receipts or a service history.

As far as resale value, it might be reduced by not having a more thoroughly documented service history. Obviously you are questioning it and some other future buyers might as well. But the added value of a "since new" service record should be already "lost" and reflected in the price you are paying.