Old 07 April 2012, 17:05   #1

Town: Kendal
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 75
Honda 75

I have a six year old Honda 75 which has never missed a beat ...until now. It starts perfectly when cold but after stopping for an hour to dive, it is sometimes reluctant - or refuses outright! Once started it then runs perfectly. If the stop time is only a few minutes it starts straight away. Has anyone experienced similar problems or have any ideas?
Old 08 April 2012, 22:18   #2

Town: Gloucestershire
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Does it make any difference if you use the primer bulb after its sat.?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2012, 05:39   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

its our day today off so please call the workshop on Tuesday and if you can after 11.00 and ask for Cameron and he will help you.

Dave
Old 09 April 2012, 11:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Does it make any difference if you use the primer bulb after its sat.?
It does need priming when in the past it probably didnt. The last but one time I had a problem though it it wouldn't fire no matter what (fortunately I was alongside on Eigg). I checked fuel was getting through, changed tanks, changed plugs (good spark) and turned it over until the battery started to discharge. I then manually gave it throttle on the linkage at the engine and it fired. I convinced myself this had been the problem and thought the linkage was sticking. I had no further issues until after diving off Skye and we were back to square one. This time it wouldn't start at all. After going through the same process I left it for another hour and it started first time. When it is running it is fine. If you have any ideas I would really appreciate them!
regards

Chris
Old 09 April 2012, 11:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
Hi

its our day today off so please call the workshop on Tuesday and if you can after 11.00 and ask for Cameron and he will help you.

Dave

Thanks for that - I don't have anyone locally that I feel knows enough about Hondas to be able to sort it out so I will call tomorrow.

Chris
Old 09 April 2012, 12:49   #6

Town: Gloucestershire
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey View Post
It does need priming when in the past it probably didnt. The last but one time I had a problem though it it wouldn't fire no matter what (fortunately I was alongside on Eigg). I checked fuel was getting through, changed tanks, changed plugs (good spark) and turned it over until the battery started to discharge. I then manually gave it throttle on the linkage at the engine and it fired. I convinced myself this had been the problem and thought the linkage was sticking. I had no further issues until after diving off Skye and we were back to square one. This time it wouldn't start at all. After going through the same process I left it for another hour and it started first time. When it is running it is fine. If you have any ideas I would really appreciate them!
regards

Chris
i had similar a similar problem with an Evinrude a few years back and after chasing loads of ghosts I eventually found it was down to the battery cables and battery not being up to the job. Make sure all your connections are clean and strong and the battery has plenty of grunt.

Modern engines have a lot of electronics that suck down the juice and without a good battery they wont work properly even though the engine is turning over..

Otherwise if you have tried different fuel tanks then perhaps its worth testing a different fuel line up to the engine and then check the filters etc (if there are any). If you elminate Fuel as a potential issue then coils, wiring faults etc would be my next port of call.

Good Luck

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2012, 19:48   #7

Thanks for that - I had assumed that if there was enough oomph to turn it over there would be enough to start it - the battery is a few years old so I will change it and see what happens. I will then move onto coils etc because i think i have eliminated fuel. My only thought was that one of the carbs may be blocked, but I think it would fire on two anyway. Am I right? I appreciate the help and will let you know if I break down again! (just in case, I am buying a 4hp Yam tomorrow to replace the 20 year old Evinrude standby I have been using).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
i had similar a similar problem with an Evinrude a few years back and after chasing loads of ghosts I eventually found it was down to the battery cables and battery not being up to the job. Make sure all your connections are clean and strong and the battery has plenty of grunt.

Modern engines have a lot of electronics that suck down the juice and without a good battery they wont work properly even though the engine is turning over..

Otherwise if you have tried different fuel tanks then perhaps its worth testing a different fuel line up to the engine and then check the filters etc (if there are any). If you elminate Fuel as a potential issue then coils, wiring faults etc would be my next port of call.

Good Luck