Old 22 March 2024, 23:42   #1

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Honda BF75 tilt

Who’s good at reading parts diagrams?

Does part 27 seem like a one piece unit?

Tilt ram leaking am told it’s a one piece and it’s £850 ouch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5368.png
Views:	40
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	144665  
Old 23 March 2024, 00:16   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
Who’s good at reading parts diagrams?

Tilt ram leaking am told it’s a one piece and it’s £850 ouch
I put seals in one of those trim units a while ago & iirc used an aftermarket kit sold as a yamaha kit, I'm almost certain the trim mechanism is the same as yamaha. Should be a makers name cast into the body, google the maker & parts should come up
Old 23 March 2024, 00:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I put seals in one of those trim units a while ago & iirc used an aftermarket kit sold as a yamaha kit, I'm almost certain the trim mechanism is the same as yamaha. Should be a makers name cast into the body, google the maker & parts should come up
Interesting will have a look into that thank you. Am told whole trim unit is £3k + vat

Boat gods displeased with me
Old 23 March 2024, 02:49   #4

I see the name Showa comes up with a search for Honda spares.

This guy does a good tutorial https://youtu.be/oReJLSfLRq8?si=kKyHWocWp_ma8zXn and the video description is cylinder seals on a Showa (Yamaha, Honda, Evinrude) which suggests those brands may all use Showa units ?
Old 23 March 2024, 06:03   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Drop a note to Ardronan Marine. They usually have a supply of Honda engines they are breaking. Just checked their site so breaking fuel injection and carb versions of BF75/90. Fingers crossed.

It could be ram seals, however you’re going to need to pressure test to be sure.
Old 23 March 2024, 06:11   #6

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
99% sure you need part numbers
64e-43898-09
64e-43867-09
64e-43866-09
£25 for the 3.
But the bottom of the piston should screw on but some also have a tack weld. If it is welded it’s easier to cut the eye of the top of the ram and weld back on. Leave the bottom of the ram well alone as there are springs in there and will not take any heat.
Old 23 March 2024, 09:38   #7

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
I see the name Showa comes up with a search for Honda spares.

This guy does a good tutorial https://youtu.be/oReJLSfLRq8?si=kKyHWocWp_ma8zXn and the video description is cylinder seals on a Showa (Yamaha, Honda, Evinrude) which suggests those brands may all use Showa units ?
Yes showa sounds familiar, I'm sure the seal kit said Yamaha on the packet maybe look at used items rather than new if the part you need isnt serviced by the seal kit. probably more choice if the unit covers several makes & the only difference is the colour
Old 23 March 2024, 12:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Drop a note to Ardronan Marine. They usually have a supply of Honda engines they are breaking. Just checked their site so breaking fuel injection and carb versions of BF75/90. Fingers crossed.

It could be ram seals, however you’re going to need to pressure test to be sure.
Emailed him, says IF he’s got a unit in the whole PTT would be £500

He went on to say my outboard is 96/97 and cap for tilt if not been off in that time might be seized and if so not worth buying new parts.

New cap was around £150 from Pacer plus seals and cutting/welding top of the piston

A. Cap comes off, cut piston, change seals, weld, fit back
B. Cap doesn’t come off or is damaged in process the as above plus new cap
C. Used PTT unit

Am I on the right tracks?

Can a used PTT be reliably pressure tested?

Option C looking like more £ but less faff, I’d have to take piston/rod to be welded by pal if A or B
Old 23 March 2024, 12:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie View Post
99% sure you need part numbers
64e-43898-09
64e-43867-09
64e-43866-09
£25 for the 3.
But the bottom of the piston should screw on but some also have a tack weld. If it is welded it’s easier to cut the eye of the top of the ram and weld back on. Leave the bottom of the ram well alone as there are springs in there and will not take any heat.
Kevin at Pacer pretty sure early models (my luck) had the fixed bottom end, later used a nut and that he’d heard of someone cutting the piston to slide off the cap, changed seals and welded back.
Old 23 March 2024, 20:18   #10

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Mine had a nut on the end. Disassembly was pretty straight forward. Put the eye in a vise and it turned right off. Keep track of the springs, and check valve bearings.

I have a 2005 BF75 that is a Showa unit. My pump inside failed and I chased it for awhile as the tolerances were barely out of spec, causing it not to raise properly under a load. I bought a used unit that I believe came off a motor that was flipped over on the street as the main piston rod was bent. It was a clean unit and I can not imagine running it without first rebuilding it. The seal kit is pretty cheap as are the cheesy made in China tools required for disassembly. Don't take the pump apart unless you are fairly mechanically inclined as there are different sized ball bearings, along with springs. The manufacturer considers the pumps non serviceable. Do change the seals where the pump attaches to the main body. Careful though as there is check valve with a bearing.

How about a picture(s) of the assembly so we can see how much corrosion is on the unit to help determine if you are going to struggle getting the cap off?

I am in the USA so these are USA links, but they will give you an idea of how many brands they fit. Instead of Chinese tools you can also buy quality tools that won't break, or be gentle on the Chinese tools. Make sure your ratchet is inline and stays that way.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are tons of videos on Youtube showing how simple it is to replace the seals, without even removing it from the boat. ATF works for hydraulic fluid as does...hydraulic fluid. I found a larger pippet worked to top it up easier than anything else.

Some links that might be helpful.
https://www.discount-marine.com/club..._115_yam-2.pdf
https://f01.justanswer.com/TEKN5000/..._TILT_TRIM.pdf
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...xperience.html
https://www.crowleymarine.com/d/tech...9500-96l00-01e
http://files.motorka.org/plm/mercury...150_175/5b.pdf
Old 24 March 2024, 09:05   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Emailed him, says IF he’s got a unit in the whole PTT would be £500

He went on to say my outboard is 96/97 and cap for tilt if not been off in that time might be seized and if so not worth buying new parts.

New cap was around £150 from Pacer plus seals and cutting/welding top of the piston

A. Cap comes off, cut piston, change seals, weld, fit back
B. Cap doesn’t come off or is damaged in process the as above plus new cap
C. Used PTT unit

Am I on the right tracks?

Can a used PTT be reliably pressure tested?

Option C looking like more £ but less faff, I’d have to take piston/rod to be welded by pal if A or B
Start small. I'd be inclined to order the seals as Davie said. Now the cap could be problematic as mentioned. If the ATF fluid is discoloured, then you may consider just renewing the entire unit, as sea water will have got in, and a full dismantle will reveal extent of damage. What about the PTT motor, does it sound healthy enough? You could order a gasket and take a closer look. Often the carbon brushes wear out. I repaired my Tohatsu 70hp with brushes for a Suzuki 125hp motorbike and springs from a Hornby railway set!

If you opt to repair, then you're going to have to gently heat the cap area and lighy hammer the circumference of the cap to break any corrosion before using the correct cap tool to remove. A decent extension bar will be required for leverage rather than brut force. I've seen videos where the locating pins on the cap tool shear off if not located properly but hey, sometimes that's what happens. Use Plus Gas to lube any exposed thread on cap.

Not sure what oil Honda use, but Tohatsu use Dextron II but equivalent was Mobil 220ATF
Old 20 August 2024, 20:36   #12

Thread updating
Tilt /trim unit removed. Tilt ram cap off with heat and four foot bar. Other two wouldn’t budge. Tube pitted, ram a little scratched.

EBay for donor unit, heat, four foot bar, bending four foot bar, laughing tilt cap. Heat air hammer/chisel, tilt cap 1 donor repair 0

Enquiries to Florida/Japan/Lithuania - eBay from a know seller 2014 unit for quite a few shekels.

All back together now happily tilting away with new anodes/earth strap
Old 20 August 2024, 21:38   #13

RIBase
Thanks for the update. Glad you got it fixed.