Click Here to Login

Old 23 September 2006, 02:12   #21

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Re boat motor hours

I bought a used Yamaha 150 hp taken off a police boat, for only $650 bucks, it had 3400+ hrs on it at the time, the dealer ( who repowered the police boat) wanted to dump it as they believed it wasn't going to last much longer. I ran that motor for 4 years on the back of a Nautica cat rib and it ran like they all should, never a single problem! I sold it with in excess of 3800 hrs, running fine. I spoke with a Yamaha rep at the Miami boat show who said they have seen saltwater motors with over 5000 hrs on them, now that's impressive!
Old 23 September 2006, 16:08   #22

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
I just asked this same question of a Honda dealer who's lead tech used to be a Johnson/Evinrude dealer. I have lots of experience with motorcycle 2 and 4 stroke engines and wanted his opinion on the longevity of our Johnson 150 2 strokes.

A 2 stroke engine works twice as hard as a 4 stroke running at the same RPM. A 2 is applying power every revolution whereas a 4 stroke is only every other rev. That along with the way 2 strokes are ported makes piston changes part of the maintenance schedule. That is one of the reasons 2 strokes seem to have a shorter life span, when the pistons fail they tend to do major damage.

With regular compression checks, one can determine the need for piston attention and if taken care of will greatly extend the life of a 2 stroke.

Another potential problem with 2 strokes is that all the oiling is done with the fuel and if the mixture isn't right or inadequate oil is used, it can have drastic effects. There is also the thought that oiling isn't done as effiecently on a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke that supplies oil under pressure to all the moving parts.

I think the bottom line is get an engine that is right for your specific application and take care of it. Educate yourself on what you need to do to make it last longer and service it regulary, including pistons as needed on a 2 stroke.
Channelwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 17:44   #23

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
I also think that 'working' engines last longer than recreational engines due to the fact they run everyday. I used to run dive boats in Grand Cayman and looking back at the torture those engines endured without problem is amazing. I honestly believe they never failed because they were too busy working.. I sold Tickled Pink with under 200 hours on the engine having completed the Round Britain without a problem and then laying her up for 1 month, on the first run out for the new owner the Opti imploded and required a full rebuild including £3400 of parts!!!! She was still in warranty by 4 months!! Lucky buyer.
Old 23 September 2006, 21:37   #24

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Shit, I bet you weren't popular for a wee while!
Old 23 September 2006, 22:01   #25

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
I was with the local Evinrude Dealer yesterday he expects 5000 out of an Etec but nigly problems after 3000 hours.

The fisherman are putting about 2000 hours on the Honda 50's & 90's before changing them.

Jono
Old 24 September 2006, 07:56   #26
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton
I was with the local Evinrude Dealer yesterday he expects 5000 out of an Etec but nigly problems after 3000 hours.

The fisherman are putting about 2000 hours on the Honda 50's & 90's before changing them.

Jono

I suppose that's actually fairly reasonable comparable to the size of engine/output etc. I guess for example the Honda 50 engine has a comparable output/size (808cc-isn't google wonderful )to a small car engine-and if you ran one as hard as you would an outboard then that'd be the kind of life you'd expect?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 17:44   #27

Town: Cardigan
Boat name: Bay Explorer/Pioneer
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x ETEC 200hp
Thanks for the replies everyone.