Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 29 March 2012, 19:58   #1

Town: Solent
Make: Phantom 21
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 200hp V6
Hydraulic steering fluid level/air in the system query.

My current hydraulic steering is a bit "bumpy". Every quarter ish turn of the wheel and you feel a sort of jolt through the wheel.

On inspection, the steering fluid level appears quite low, well below the steering wheel spindle within the wheel housing.

There is also air in the pipes that go aft to the engine (pipes are see through and the air bubble moves as I turn the wheel).

Does is sound like the air bubbles and lack if fluid is to blame here and that simply bleeding the air out of the system and replacing/topping up the hydraulic fluid will solve the problem?

Cheers.
Old 29 March 2012, 20:08   #2

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2488 View Post
My current hydraulic steering is a bit "bumpy". Every quarter ish turn of the wheel and you feel a sort of jolt through the wheel.

On inspection, the steering fluid level appears quite low, well below the steering wheel spindle within the wheel housing.

There is also air in the pipes that go aft to the engine (pipes are see through and the air bubble moves as I turn the wheel).

Does is sound like the air bubbles and lack if fluid is to blame here and that simply bleeding the air out of the system and replacing/topping up the hydraulic fluid will solve the problem?

Cheers.
have a look at my posts got same problem I have ordered a seal kit and oil from hypro marine but what they did say is do the stem seal 1 st then fill with atf to see if the keak is fixed then bleed the proper oil through.
Old 30 March 2012, 05:30   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
The air in the system got there somehow. More than likely, you've got a leak somewhere that allowed the fluid level to get low enough for the pump to pick it up and stuff it down the hoses.

Bleeding and filling will take care of the problem short-term, but it will recur if you don't fix the leak.

jky