Old 17 August 2023, 09:38   #1

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Hydrogen-powered Outboard???

There is some interesting stuff going on in Japan with regard to Hydrogen-powered engines by the big Motorcycle manufacturers, and small marine vessels have been mentioned.

Yamaha are taking the lead on engine development with Kawasaki, but of course Suzuki and Honda are also involved.

"In Japan there is now a new organisation named HySE which is very interesting given the very ring fenced corporate nature of Japanese companies.
In a what's being seen as a landmark move, the ‘big four’ bike manufacturers have come together, having received approval from Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry to form a technological research association.
That means they can use their combined R&D power which is not insignificant to pursue a common goal, in this case the development of “hydrogen-powered engines for small mobility.” That term, ‘small mobility,’ is defined as: “motorcycles, Japan-originated mini-vehicles, small marine vessels, construction equipment, drones, etc.”
Yamaha and Kawasaki that are taking the lead roles in the motor development, yamaha already has a funtional prototype V8 race engine.
Honda is tasked with ‘research on the model-based development of hydrogen powered engines,’ for instance, while Suzuki is working on ‘functionality, performance, and reliability of the hydrogen-powered engines.’
As a group they have a fair bit of clout, a lot of experience and a huge R&D capibility.

Kenji Komatsu, the Chairman nominee of HySE and Executive Officer of the Technical Research & Development Centre at Yamaha, has said: “We are extremely pleased to announce the planned formation of the association. There are many challenges in the development of hydrogen-powered engines, but we hope to see the association’s activities advance the fundamental research in order to meet those challenges. We are committed to this endeavour with a sense of mission to preserve the use of internal combustion engines, which epitomize the long-time efforts that our predecessors have invested.

Pressurised Fuel tank on board anyone?
Old 17 August 2023, 10:40   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
There is some interesting stuff going on in Japan with regard to Hydrogen-powered engines by the big Motorcycle manufacturers, and small marine vessels have been mentioned.

Yamaha are taking the lead on engine development with Kawasaki, but of course Suzuki and Honda are also involved.

"In Japan there is now a new organisation named HySE which is very interesting given the very ring fenced corporate nature of Japanese companies.

In a what's being seen as a landmark move, the ‘big four’ bike manufacturers have come together, having received approval from Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry to form a technological research association.

That means they can use their combined R&D power which is not insignificant to pursue a common goal, in this case the development of “hydrogen-powered engines for small mobility.” That term, ‘small mobility,’ is defined as: “motorcycles, Japan-originated mini-vehicles, small marine vessels, construction equipment, drones, etc.”

Yamaha and Kawasaki that are taking the lead roles in the motor development, yamaha already has a funtional prototype V8 race engine.

Honda is tasked with ‘research on the model-based development of hydrogen powered engines,’ for instance, while Suzuki is working on ‘functionality, performance, and reliability of the hydrogen-powered engines.’

As a group they have a fair bit of clout, a lot of experience and a huge R&D capibility.

Kenji Komatsu, the Chairman nominee of HySE and Executive Officer of the Technical Research & Development Centre at Yamaha, has said: “We are extremely pleased to announce the planned formation of the association. There are many challenges in the development of hydrogen-powered engines, but we hope to see the association’s activities advance the fundamental research in order to meet those challenges. We are committed to this endeavour with a sense of mission to preserve the use of internal combustion engines, which epitomize the long-time efforts that our predecessors have invested.

Pressurised Fuel tank on board anyone?

I genuinely believe that hydrogen will overtake electric vehicles. There are plenty of LPG powered vehicles running around with pressurised tanks & tbh, I’d rather sit on a tank of Hydrogen than Propane. If LPG leaks it pools, being heavier than air. Hydrogen just disappears into the ether. National Grid have just renewed all the gas mains & branch pipes in our village, interestingly, all the new pipes & valves are marked “Hydrogen Ready”. It’s coming.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 11:01   #3

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
re vehicles - I genuinely believe you are wrong, whilst also genuinely wishing you are right.

Hydrogen is actually a bit of a nightmare to work with though, I think - the small molecule size and high pressure means it's hard to stop it leaking out, I believe. I remember reading up on some comparisons on rocket engine design and fuel choice between space X and Nasa SLS - SLS (and the shuttle before it) frequently had/has fuel leaks IIRC.

For mains gas - much much lower pressure - yes, could see them starting a hydrogen blend at some point.
Old 17 August 2023, 14:11   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
re vehicles - I genuinely believe you are wrong, whilst also genuinely wishing you are right.

Hydrogen is actually a bit of a nightmare to work with though, I think - the small molecule size and high pressure means it's hard to stop it leaking out, I believe. I remember reading up on some comparisons on rocket engine design and fuel choice between space X and Nasa SLS - SLS (and the shuttle before it) frequently had/has fuel leaks IIRC.

For mains gas - much much lower pressure - yes, could see them starting a hydrogen blend at some point.

Yup, I agree re. The molecule size. Trying to keep hold of He is bad enough & it’s twice the size. I think (hope) that the technical issues will be overcome. If we crack commercially viable fusion in the next 50years or so, then H2 power will be a reality. Unless there’s a drastic shift in EV battery chemistry & charge times, I think they’ll be a stopgap at best. Who knows 🤷*♂️
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 06:48   #5

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Hydrogen powered outboard was developed/tested on a Humber Ocean Pro 8.5 just over the road from us. Worked well, but was abandoned, due to long drwan out fight to get it approved by the MCA.
Old 18 August 2023, 08:15   #6

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Paper published on this very subject last month : https://assets.publishing.service.go...me_vessels.pdf

Tags
outboard