Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 08 November 2023, 19:44   #1

Make: Excel Scout 400
Engine: MFS15E 20hp ECU
I upgraded my 15hp Tohatsu EFI to 20hp

I'm really really pleased with the results too. It wasn't cheap at £525, but due to covid times I had to settle for the 15hp. I've had someone who watched the video report that their Merc Mariner efi is pretty much identical under the cowl too.

Here's the upgrade vid, and the results vid comes up at the end: https://youtu.be/Y8DIIdk4uTU
Old 08 November 2023, 21:28   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
By chance your upgrade video came up on our TV Youtube feed half an our ago and we enjoyed it. It's not an insubstantial amount of money but far easier and cheaper than trading in for a new 20hp. Was that cost a dealer retail?
Old 08 November 2023, 21:54   #3

Thank you, great to hear! The ECU was purchased from Lincolnshire Marine on ebay, and was certainly a cheaper option than selling and buying another - there's very little market on this Island for that.
Old 08 November 2023, 22:50   #4

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi Jason, really enjoyed your video with the ECU upgrade and the follow on video (good drone footage)
Like you I was stuck in the "could only get a 15hp during covid scenario", but eventually I did find a 20hp Merc EFI at the right money. It made a major difference to the performance on my SD360, not so much in outright speed but cruising at the same speed at a lower rpm than I would have done using the 15hp:-

https://www.rib.net/forum/f36/merc-1...nce-88972.html

Have you kept the Tohatsu on the same prop? If you have, I think it may be worthwhile trying a different pitch. I found it made a significant difference.

I really like the look of the Scout, but in its present guise it has to many " not for me" issues before I'd be tempted - oars/oar locks, rope etc.
Old 09 November 2023, 09:06   #5

Hi Steve, that's great to hear. Yes in fact with my Carbon Pro my RPMs were a little low so I switched over to a 9". Seems the 3.6m was a little harder to push through the water, as my RPMs on the 9" with the Scout 4m were higher. Upgrading to the 20hp meant I also swapped back to the 10" pitch again - achieving around 5870RPM WOT now - engine is singing quite nicely.

Quote:
I really like the look of the Scout, but in its present guise it has to many " not for me" issues before I'd be tempted - oars/oar locks, rope etc.
This is constant feedback. Excel are adding these as optional extras, however I think they should flip that around: as standard it should come with oars, ropes etc, and the option to remove them is separately available if required. I'll feed this back to them (again)
Old 09 November 2023, 17:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManxJason View Post
Hi Steve, that's great to hear. Yes in fact with my Carbon Pro my RPMs were a little low so I switched over to a 9". Seems the 3.6m was a little harder to push through the water, as my RPMs on the 9" with the Scout 4m were higher. Upgrading to the 20hp meant I also swapped back to the 10" pitch again - achieving around 5870RPM WOT now - engine is singing quite nicely.

This is constant feedback. Excel are adding these as optional extras, however I think they should flip that around: as standard it should come with oars, ropes etc, and the option to remove them is separately available if required. I'll feed this back to them (again)

I was going to suggest 5870 rpm was a little low until I read the spec for a 20hp efi Tohatsu.
The 20hp efi Mercs range is higher at 5700 - 6200, which as its ostensibly the same engine, surprised me.

I think Excel have got it the wrong way round. One would think the market research would have been done before launching a new sib and I certainly wouldn't pay extra for something that I think is a fundamental to a sib.
Old 11 November 2023, 19:12   #7

After speaking with them regarding that, they used previous market research when it came to leaving the ropes and oars off the designs, at least that's what they said. Since, its clear the target audience are saying otherwise.

Their website will update with those additional items soon - I've seen a photo of them.
Old 11 November 2023, 19:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManxJason;
Their website will update with those additional items soon - I've seen a photo of them.
But hopefully not at extra cost.
Old 13 November 2023, 11:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
But hopefully not at extra cost.
Indeed there is a cost - new on the website

Accessory kit: https://excel-leisure.co.uk/products...-accessory-kit

Oars: https://excel-leisure.co.uk/products...-165cm-oar-set
Old 13 November 2023, 13:10   #10

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManxJason View Post
Thats a bit stiff. £150 for what is normally on the Boat. The Honwave T40 starts about £50 less than this boat and includes all that fitted. Granted you only get one seat.

I fear these new chaps at Excel know how to make an extra quid here and there