Old 22 March 2009, 11:43   #1

Town: Muscat
Boat name: Abdul Aziz 3
Make: Libra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yam 75 OB
Johnson Commercial 105

I am British ex-pat living and working in Muscat. I have a boat as private refurbishment project with my young sons and I would be grateful if you could help me with engine service parts. Johnson parts are not available in Muscat but there is a Johnson trained o/b engine mechanic who will service the engines if I can source parts. My wife is visiting UK 24-31st March and will be staying in Cardiff so if I could pay for parts using my UK First Direct Debit Card perhaps they could be posted to her Mums house in Cardiff from where she could bring them back to Muscat.

The engines are Johnson Commercial 105’s model No J105WPX55C which I understand to be:

J105 HP

W Commercial

P Power T+T

X 25” shaft

55 2000 year

C Model Run

The engine serial numbers are G04800626 and G04800842 respectively. They are not counter rotating. Engines run pretty well and start reasonably well. Tick over on one engine is not consistent and it sometimes cuts out. Power seems to be fine. One thing I do get is a leak from the small slots at the bottom of the leg just above the anti cavitation plate. I guess there are seals gone in there between water pump and powerhead – I would be grateful for advice on availability of seals for this.

I would also like to replace propellers but need to take one off to get part number. Existing props are aluminium but corroded and have some dings that cause engine vibration. Engines rev to an indicated 5,200 rpm under load. Here is picture of boat so that you can see what size etc it is.

I am open to advice from you regarding what I should replace. I am unsure of history of engines but I would like to overhaul water pumps and replace impellers as a minimum.

Please advise on other parts you would consider replacing; i.e. spark plugs etc. Sacrificial anodes need replacing and I cannot see engine earthing wires.

I would also like a price on a fish finder. I have seen a Garmin FF140 that I like. Do you do these?

Please can you also advice whether I can buy parts from you VAT free to export or whether you can supply VAT Export Forms that my wife can get VAT refund at Heathrow

Best regards
Old 22 March 2009, 12:07   #2

Sorry folks
Stuffed up post. I was cutting and pasting and editing an email sent to Bill Higham marine when I did something wrong and the unedited post was published.

I am looking for a Johnson delaer who can supply the parts and advice I need as detailed above

many thanks
Old 22 March 2009, 19:30   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Andy, do yo need someone to bring them out and fit them, me and Nasher could do with a holiday

Just be aware Bill Highmans prices are err..... breath taking. You shouldn't have problems sourcing parts in the UK though as both Evinrude and Johnson made 90, 100, 115 and 120 hp (and possibly a 140 hp) leisure versions of you engine.

Pete
Old 23 March 2009, 04:00   #4

Pete, thanks are due to you and Nasher for your selfless offer - you are always welcome in Muscat and when the 6.5m rib is refurbed you are welcome to use it whilst here. It is a fact that prices here for 'technical work' are so high that, for example, it is cheaper for me to fly someone out from uk for a week to service my BA Compressor than it is to get it done locally.

Anyway back to the thread - thanks for the advice on prices and tips on availability. I have tried googling with little success. Do you have any addresses of Johnson dealers that I could try? Internet v. v. slow from here.

many thanks
Old 23 March 2009, 09:27   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Andy, tried a search but can't find a dealer near Cardiff. Might be easier to e mail Lee at Fairweather Marine in Hampshire. Quite a few of us use him so do mention that he was recommended by Ribnet to you.

http://www.fairweathermarine.co.uk/

Regards

Pete
Old 23 March 2009, 09:58   #6

Thanks Pete

I called Lee but he was busy so have sent email request and mentioned RibNet. many thanks for the contact I shall let you know how I get on. I am also having my first attempt at fitting new tubes to my refurbishment project: a Libra 6.5m RIB this week. They are mechanical fixing so I shall give it a shot. Please keep an eye on panic posts if i get into trouble...

Best regards
Old 23 March 2009, 23:24   #7

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
johnson

Hi Andy

Just a thought, have you considered buying your bits from the states and having them send them directly to you in Muscat. I sometimes have bought spares and service items from West Marine, so if you know excactly what you want, it might be worth emailing them for a quote. In my experience they have a very helpful int'l sales division that made sure I got the right parts and they all arrived quite quickly.

Davej

Bedford UK
Old 24 March 2009, 10:49   #8

Thanks for your advice Dave I shall check their website etc Best Regards
Old 25 March 2009, 22:25   #9

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Young2 View Post
One thing I do get is a leak from the small slots at the bottom of the leg just above the anti cavitation plate. I guess there are seals gone in there between water pump and powerhead – I would be grateful for advice on availability of seals for this.
I think you will find this is normal. It certainly happened on my Johnson and on my last E-tec.

Quote:
I am open to advice from you regarding what I should replace. I am unsure of history of engines but I would like to overhaul water pumps and replace impellers as a minimum.
Yes these should be done for sure

Quote:
Please advise on other parts you would consider replacing; i.e. spark plugs etc. Sacrificial anodes need replacing and I cannot see engine earthing wires .
Fuel Filters (you should have one in line at least and possibly on each engine) Also on old engines like these it may be worth using a few cans of engine decarboning spray which Evinrude or Quicksilver make I think its called engine tuner you need a couple of cans per engine.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2009, 06:00   #10

Many thanks Chris
Sand in fuel is always an issue when filling from canned stock

Best regards