Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 23 September 2024, 18:06   #1

Town: london
Length: 5m +
Mariner 75 2s ELPTO - a few questions!

Hello all,

I have 2 of the above outboards on my RIB. Unfortunately the serial numbers have well and truly disintegrated so I'm struggling to find a manual for them. Does anyone have a link to the manual? I 'think' they are 1997 but that is purely based on the assumption of the RIBs age (which is also a guess!)

Secondly, I had a power head replaced and need to find the correct fitting to connect the water pressure gauge to the new head as it seems to just have a blanking nut in it. I am struggling to find out which part i need. Does anyone know if this is a pretty standard part, or if it's dealer only?

Thirdly: Are the warning buzzers meant to sound when you first turn on the ignition? Mine don't and I know I had a warning buzzer go off once, years ago when it belonged to a friend. I am wondering if someone has unhelpfully disconnected them rather than fix a faulty sensor. If they are meant to sound, please could someone suggest how to test them and/or where is has likely been disconnected!

Many thanks!
Jay
Old 23 September 2024, 19:30   #2

Town: Colchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_1 View Post
Hello all,

I have 2 of the above outboards on my RIB. Unfortunately the serial numbers have well and truly disintegrated so I'm struggling to find a manual for them. Does anyone have a link to the manual? I 'think' they are 1997 but that is purely based on the assumption of the RIBs age (which is also a guess!)

Secondly, I had a power head replaced and need to find the correct fitting to connect the water pressure gauge to the new head as it seems to just have a blanking nut in it. I am struggling to find out which part i need. Does anyone know if this is a pretty standard part, or if it's dealer only?

Thirdly: Are the warning buzzers meant to sound when you first turn on the ignition? Mine don't and I know I had a warning buzzer go off once, years ago when it belonged to a friend. I am wondering if someone has unhelpfully disconnected them rather than fix a faulty sensor. If they are meant to sound, please could someone suggest how to test them and/or where is has likely been disconnected!

Many thanks!
Jay
It is quite common to disconnect the buzzer on initial turn of the Key. Very Offton the oil sensor detaches in the 2 stroke oil tank and causes a fulse buzzer of oil level. It is expensive to fix and to be honest you can see the oil level and should be checked before every outing. For these reasons many disconnect the buzzer
Old 23 September 2024, 19:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
It is quite common to disconnect the buzzer on initial turn of the Key. Very Offton the oil sensor detaches in the 2 stroke oil tank and causes a fulse buzzer of oil level. It is expensive to fix and to be honest you can see the oil level and should be checked before every outing. For these reasons many disconnect the buzzer
Thanks smallribber. Makes total sense and I do indeed check the oil before every outing. What do people do about losing the Overheat alarm?
Old 23 September 2024, 20:19   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_1 View Post
Thanks smallribber. Makes total sense and I do indeed check the oil before every outing. What do people do about losing the Overheat alarm?
Offton the way it is disabled just disables the initial beep and the oil level but leaves the overheat alarm. You could test it by taking out the little overheat sensor turning the ignition on and putting the sensor in boiling water. You might find that the buzzer still operates for this.

The sensor is in the block and looks somthing like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126462290...oaAsHoEALw_wcB
Old 25 September 2024, 16:58   #5

Thanks again. I took a look but couldn't find where the sensor is located! Is it the wire that disappears into the very back of the engine, to the left of the spark plugs?

Also, I don't suppose you know where I can get the water pressure gauge fitting? I've been asking a dealer but they are stumped , so I don't think they are used to this era of engine!
Old 26 September 2024, 05:46   #6

This is it. Just undo that screw and it will come out. It might need a little jiggle as it is probably crudded in a bit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4137.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	146258  
Old 26 September 2024, 05:48   #7

Not sure what you mean by a water pressure gauge fitting. The impeller pump in these engines pumps through various passages that are open in various places. The concept of water pressure does not really apply
Old 26 September 2024, 05:55   #8

These engines are very simple which is the beauty of them. The only sensors are the 2 we have spoken about. The 2 stroke oil level sensor and the engine temp sensor. The other simple thing to do is buy an infra red temp gauge. Start the engine on muffs and see what the temp is at various places.
Old 26 September 2024, 05:57   #9

This is the sort of one. Very cheap and handy to have for a variety of things

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infrared-Th...ps%2C93&sr=8-5

Tags
mariner