Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 13 July 2008, 15:59   #1

Boat name: Yam340S
Make: Yamaha (Zodiac)
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 8HP 4stroke
Mariner Throttle friction clamp

I was checking my Mariner 8HP 4 stroke outboard today and managed to break the throttle friction clamp (see pic). I sourced the replacement clamp at Ribs Marine Parts and placed an order with them. Are they fast in delivering orders?
Does anyone know how easy or difficult is to replace the clamp. I have a feeling I might need to remove the shaft from the tiller arm in order to fit the new clamp?Is this the case and is there anything I should be aware of before I proceed with the replacement?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken_Friction_Clamp.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	36278  
Old 14 July 2008, 07:46   #2

Anyone?
Old 15 July 2008, 21:26   #3

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilo View Post
I was checking my Mariner 8HP 4 stroke outboard today and managed to break the throttle friction clamp (see pic). I sourced the replacement clamp at Ribs Marine Parts and placed an order with them. Are they fast in delivering orders?
Does anyone know how easy or difficult is to replace the clamp. I have a feeling I might need to remove the shaft from the tiller arm in order to fit the new clamp?Is this the case and is there anything I should be aware of before I proceed with the replacement?

Thanks
Its a pain in the arse to change!!, as you have to remove the tiller arm, throttle cables and tiller stop switch. Then you can take off the rubber grip, slide the inner tube out from the tiller arm until you can get the friction device out. Put the new one in and do it all in reverse, but make sure you get the throttle position lined up correctly when you push the inner tube back in. Great fun!!!
Old 15 July 2008, 21:43   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Probably stating the obvious here - but worth using a smear of Duckhams marine grease when you refit parts - and don't over-tighten the friction clamp!!!
Old 16 July 2008, 01:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
Its a pain in the arse to change!!, as you have to remove the tiller arm, throttle cables and tiller stop switch. Then you can take off the rubber grip, slide the inner tube out from the tiller arm until you can get the friction device out. Put the new one in and do it all in reverse, but make sure you get the throttle position lined up correctly when you push the inner tube back in. Great fun!!!
Thanks! I thought that would be the case, but I was hoping someone will tell me otherwise...

@spartacus
Yeah, I admit I over-tightened the clamp, but learned my lesson and will rtfm next time proper (ordered 2 just in case)!