Old 25 February 2009, 20:40   #1

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Touch Bottom
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 hp Merc Power t&t
Merc Prop Serial No's

Does any one know how to read the serial No's on the Merc prop's? ie. what do they tell you.? I have looked in the search but can't find any thing. Cheers.
Old 25 February 2009, 21:08   #2

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
First numbers are just a part no, last 2 numbers will tell you the pitch of the prop.
Old 26 February 2009, 08:20   #3

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sharlot View Post
First numbers are just a part no, last 2 numbers will tell you the pitch of the prop.

Don't be ridiculous! by you reckoning the part # 48-825868L85 would mean an 85" pitch 3 blade tempest! I don't think so. In a lot of cases, the last 2 digits is the size and type of hub. For instance, A46 is a 1" std flow torque, A56 is a 1" solid flow torque, and A65 is a 1 1/4" HD solid hub.

The part # on a merc prop is just a part #, and unfortunately you'll need a catalogue to look it up. Let me know the number, and I'll look it up for you.
Old 26 February 2009, 16:38   #4

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
Don't be ridiculous! by you reckoning the part # 48-825868L85 would mean an 85" pitch 3 blade tempest! I don't think so. In a lot of cases, the last 2 digits is the size and type of hub. For instance, A46 is a 1" std flow torque, A56 is a 1" solid flow torque, and A65 is a 1 1/4" HD solid hub.

The part # on a merc prop is just a part #, and unfortunately you'll need a catalogue to look it up. Let me know the number, and I'll look it up for you.
That is very true but I was basing the info on the thought that he would be running a standard Ali prop on a merc 50 in which case he would usually find the last 2 numbers would imply prop pitch and would usually in that case be followed by a letter p as well. your tempest prop would be a bit over kill on a merc 50 I think.