Old 25 April 2014, 03:21   #1

Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
RIBase
Mercury 115hp 25" shaft

So i have an engine: 115hp 2005
Model: 1115D83DY
Serial: 1B160382

Its on a friends boat, and with a bit of effort on my part - i have the opportunity to actually pay nothing for the engine:

Two problems with this is, firstly, it was a 25" shaft which is too long for my little 18' Rib is it not???

Secondly i have had the engine looked at by a mechanic and they got it running - but told me it had 1300 hrs on it!

The engine looks in great condition visually, 2 of 3 cylinders are good, one had low compression - but was told this could be where the engine has sat used for a few years.

So i'm not sure what to do here, i don't want to spend out getting it fitted to my boat, if its both impractical and knackered… but it's free.

Also i have looked into reducing the shaft as there is a spacer that could be removed but i've been told different versions of what needs to be done -
the power head might need removing for install/it would be better to change the entire lower end/ etc etc.

Opinions and advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Old 25 April 2014, 15:39   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosefix View Post
Two problems with this is, firstly, it was a 25" shaft which is too long for my little 18' Rib is it not???
Depends on the RIB. My 17.5' RIB uses an XL shaft length. Use a plumb line and measure from the top of the transom to the bottom of the keel - should give you an idea of your required shaft length.

jky