Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 05 September 2006, 10:10   #1

Town: cork
Boat name: Raider
Make: lencraft intruder
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard/petrol
Mercury Optimax Saltwater 115 (year 2003)

Anyone with experience of this engine who could kindly give me ( a newbie) some feedback on approx average fuel consumption ? . Also any idea on how fuel consumption would compare to a 4 stroke of comparable HP.

Any advice/guidance greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 05 September 2006, 10:44   #2

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
What does the 'Saltwater' description mean?
Old 05 September 2006, 11:45   #3

Mercury Optimax Saltwater 115 HP

To be honest I dont know exactly what is meant by the ''Saltwater '' part of the name , other than on Mercury website they refer to the ''Optimax Saltwater Series '' of engines . Mercury 's blurb gives the following:

''Mercury OptiMax Saltwater outboards are the most advanced offshore outboards you can run with.

The all-new high pressure fuel delivery system creates an ideal plume of atomised fuel and air in the combustion chamber.
The result is unheard of fuel efficiencies. Under normal operating conditions, fuel consumption is reduced by up to 45%. That translates to a longer cruising range, so you can get to the really big ones.
You can also get smoother running, the capability to hold rpm in any conditions, and virtually smoke-free operation, even at idle speeds.

These OptiMax Saltwater models have the most powerful alternators in their class. That's more than enough power to keep all your electronics running all day long. ''

The Mercury sales pitch sounds great and I have my eye on a very clean 2003 one but was just wondering if anyone on the forum has hands on experience with this type of engine and could guide me on approx fuel consumption etc.. Mercury says that fuel consumption is reduced by 45 % but dont qualify further e.g. 45 % less than what ?. I assume they mean 45 % less than a conventional 2 stroke. What I would like to know if possible is how would consumption compare to a 4 stroke of same HP ?
Old 05 September 2006, 11:50   #4

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
I think the Saltwater was/is a marketing thing and there wan't much difference, but don't quote me on that.

If you search on saltwater and mercury, there are a couple of useful threads where consumption is discussed. I'd copy the thread reference, but I can't work out how to!
Old 05 September 2006, 13:21   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Saltwater

I asked the Mercury sales guy at a boatshow what the "saltwater" designation meant. Reply was "nothing" - they're all the same.

Regarding fuel consumption the 45% saving is against a conventional carb 2 stroke.

I have a 150hp Optimax on my 6.5m boat and had a 90hp Carb Mariner on my 5.4m boat - they both use about one litre per mile at cruising speeds.

Hope this helps.
Old 05 September 2006, 14:08   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider
I asked the Mercury sales guy at a boatshow what the "saltwater" designation meant. Reply was "nothing" - they're all the same.
Erm.... having seen some of the crap salesmen come out with does anyone know if Mercury actually give their sales guys any training on it?

Might be worth asking a marine engineer or a dealer's mechanic. I've seen (on older mercs) differences including stainless driveshafts rather than mild steel. Could this be the case on the saltwater opti's?

I should point out I've never worked on an opti so all of this is conjecture but it's always worth finding out small details-they can make a massive difference if your leg won't come off for service!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2006, 16:07   #7

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
arnt saltwaters long shaft

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2006, 16:51   #8
RJH

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider

Regarding fuel consumption the 45% saving is against a conventional carb 2 stroke.

I have a 150hp Optimax on my 6.5m boat and had a 90hp Carb Mariner on my 5.4m boat - they both use about one litre per mile at cruising speeds.

Hope this helps.
Also have a 115hp Optimax on a 6.5m boat and likewise averaging 1.08 l /nm for the season so far.
Old 05 September 2006, 22:04   #9

Town: brighton
Length: 10m +
used to be to do with having all stainless water pumps, 05 engines were all badged saltwater and now the phrase has been dropped. 06 engines only say mercury on them and the horsepower on the back, they dont even say optimax.
Old 06 September 2006, 13:11   #10

Optimax Saltwater 115

Thanks to all who replied. You have been a great help.