Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 02 September 2024, 09:26   #1

Town: Cork
Length: 7m +
Mercury optimax trim & tilt not working

Hi

I have a 2006 Mercury Optimax 225hp.
a few months ago there have been a couple of times the trim hasn't operated (from the console or with the button the engine itself). I secured some of the cables near the throttle and it worked for for the last month or so without issue. I guess something was loose and I thought no more about it ... more fool me.

Now the trim isn't work and it is pretty much down fully.

I'm not sure what I can do .... is there a way to physically / manually trim it? Or to try fix the issue in the water? I don't see how I can get the boat out & trailered the way it currently is.
Old 02 September 2024, 09:50   #2

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
Follow the wire from the trim motor up inside the cowling and you'll see it connects in via 2 or 3 wire connectors )which could themselves be the issue, so give them a looking at).

If you unplug them you can jump 12v direct to the trim motor then - if it's a 3 wire pump you usually have a black (earth), and then green and blue wires for up & down. If it's a 2 wire motor, then one goes to +12 and the other to earth.

You can get a good earth from the starter motor mounting bolt, and 12v from the starter motor solenoid which is the biggish unit on the side of the motor with the red cover and heavy duty leads on it.

If that doesn't work and it's the motor that is shot, then there's usually a manual release valve on the stbd side of the trim assembly. Look down the side of the of the transom bracket and low down there's a hole through the bracket that gives access to a plastic bolt on the side of the trim assembly. The issue with this is that it's underwater and often "pre-knackered" by a previous owner. But sounds like it's an electrical issue based on your note, so just jumping the trim pump power stands a fair chance of getting the motor trimmed up so you can get it on to the trailer.
Old 02 September 2024, 13:22   #3

Great - thanks Matt - I’ll try that. Thanks for quick and thorough response
Old 02 September 2024, 17:23   #4

Town: Easdale
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
If the motor is on the way out but you can get a hammer or something solid too it give it a tap while trimming up with the engine switch if it’s not wiring but the motor it should come up
Old 02 September 2024, 17:34   #5

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
There is also a place to put a screwdriver in and cut the hydraulics loose. The challenge is manually lifting the motor which will probably need to be done while standing in the water using the leverage from the end of the outboard.

Old 02 September 2024, 17:49   #6

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
There is also a place to put a screwdriver in and cut the hydraulics loose. The challenge is manually lifting the motor which will probably need to be done while standing in the water using the leverage from the end of the outboard.
Yes, that's the manual release valve I referred to. But it's the last resort, I'd say.
Old 02 September 2024, 22:01   #7

I went down today and it worked so I tilted it up to keep it out of the water …. It is pretty shallow . It stopped working again but at least it is in a better situation now
It seems any time it stops working , it is ok 24 hours later.

I’ll try follow the cables tomorrow . I’ll do a bit of homework (haven’t opened up the engines/ cowling before)