Old 19 May 2008, 22:01   #21

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Length: 5m +
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
My evinrude ate a piston and we are stripping it down right now, my mechanic friend who has worked on about all the outboards out there likes both etec and yamahas. I did some work for a local yamaha dealer and stopped in today on what a 115 4 stroke $8500 and maybe 500 in misc parts. So if my powerhead is toast (God willing) and I can convince the "ole lady" we will be repowered
Old 19 May 2008, 22:10   #22

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 603doug View Post
My evinrude ate a piston...
Sorry to hear that Doug! Ain't that a nasty sound?

This is an older 'Rude though isn't it? Not the new-fangled E-Tec jobbie?

S

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2008, 22:30   #23

1994 not the etec model, I am not bad mouthing evinrudes because I was looking at an etec, the Massachusetts environmental cops run etecs and they love them. I am still going to get a hard number on the etec but from what different dealers have told me the yamaha numbers I was given are pretty good
Old 19 May 2008, 22:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603doug View Post
1994 not the etec model, I am not bad mouthing evinrudes because I was looking at an etec, the Massachusetts environmental cops run etec and they love them. I am still going to get a hard number on the etec but from what different dealers have told me the yamaha numbers I was given are pretty good
I have been finding the Yamaha's about $500 less than the Etec (on the 150) plus I can use the same cables and controls. I think I'l stil go Etec though. I want the extra "pop" and don't want the weight! From everything I've heard, the Yamahas are good engines as well...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 19 May 2008, 22:44   #25

Town: porthcawl
Make: lomac
Length: 4m +
Engine: evinrude 40 etec o/b
MMSI: 235069383
hi
only got a 40hp etec (not like the big big boys toys)but can't fault it.Its as good as the blurb states,i even prefer in to the honda 4/stroke i had before. my only gripe nearest evinrude dealer/service is 80 miles away,thats what you get for living in south wales,a small price to pay.if i was you i would go for it!
Old 19 May 2008, 22:54   #26

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkeg View Post
.. nearest evinrude dealer/service is 80 miles away,..
But he's such a happy fellow with a big smile for every customer
Old 19 May 2008, 23:12   #27

Town: porthcawl
Make: lomac
Engine: evinrude 40 etec o/b
MMSI: 235069383
thats the guy! pembroke dock ,he smiles, i cry at the price of etec oil can't tell the wife how much!
Old 20 May 2008, 01:13   #28

On the 115 there only 33 lbs differents. Just need my fat dive buddy lose some weight and then he'll lose some lead. Maybe better idea to go 150
Old 20 May 2008, 10:42   #29

Town: HL
Boat name: StormChaser
Make: Humber OceanPro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude E-TEC 200HO
I own an E-Tec 150 HO instead of an Johnson 140 (Suzuki) since 8 months.
excellent, power is awesome ;-) , speed increased from 40 to 49 knots .

I love my tec, everytime I start it and hear the brubble of it I could spend 20 Euros to Evinrude/BRP ;-) .
Old 23 May 2008, 02:37   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdi View Post
I love my tec, everytime I start it and hear the brubble of it I could spend 20 Euros to Evinrude/BRP ;-) .
LOL... That sounds like a quote from an E-Tec brochure! You're not a dealer are you?

I haven't had any time to pursue this this week, but will drag the boat to a couple of dealers next week to firm up trade in prices and then, hopefully, get an order in!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 26 May 2008, 12:16   #31

Town: HL
Boat name: StormChaser
Make: Humber OceanPro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude E-TEC 200HO
no, I am no dealer ;-) www.hobbycaptain.at
Old 26 May 2008, 20:59   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdi View Post
no, I am no dealer ;-) www.hobbycaptain.at
Nice looking rig there Ferdi... I was wondering about the HO engine, but wasn't sure the reaction I'd get there in Canada with the American flag all over it! Considering BRP is a Canadian-owned company, you think they'd make one with a few maple leaves stuck to it!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 28 May 2008, 15:41   #33
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Nice looking rig there Ferdi... I was wondering about the HO engine, but wasn't sure the reaction I'd get there in Canada with the American flag all over it! Considering BRP is a Canadian-owned company, you think they'd make one with a few maple leaves stuck to it!
hot air gun to remove the stickers
Old 28 May 2008, 16:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GED View Post
hot air gun to remove the stickers
Hmmm... I was at a dealer's the other day and a guy was picking up a 15HP for a little RIB tender... and some 9.9 HP decals. Apparently that's a common request. In Canada, you don't need to license a boat if the engine is less than 10HP... hence the new decals!

If I'm going to start changing stickers, I might as well just go the 175 or 200!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 28 May 2008, 21:13   #35
RIBnet admin team

Not sure how helpful this is but I'm running a pair of four year old "inherited" Etec 90's and they are sweet. They worked in a powerboat school previously and have a "couple of hundred hours on them" (?!) They fire every time, idle effortlessly and spoken (not shouted) conversation is possible at 3500rpm. So: reliable, quite and hey, not even slightly thirsty. Oil is pricey but they use so little that it's not an issue.
Old 29 May 2008, 02:33   #36

Thanks Willk... All good info. Now if I just had some time to finalize this thing...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 30 May 2008, 12:14   #37

Quote:
I'm about >this< close to buying a 150 Etec. I've read lots of great comments on here and done my research...

Does anybody have a reason why I shouldn't buy one???
I had an E-Tec 150 HO on a 6.5m rib, it had massive grunt with loads of torque and took the rib to 52mph.

The problems I had were that due to a combination of stiffness of the throttle and the nature of the power delivery it was very hard to drive the boat in short sharp waves where constant trimming of the throttle is necessary - this engine was either on or off like a light switch.

This "feature" also meant it was virtually impossible to wakeboard behind as the engine would not allow for a constant ~18mph, it would either die off the plane with not enough throttle or it would surge ahead to 25+mph with the slightest too much throttle.

I had the correct throttle cam on it and even had the "low torque" software flashed onto the ECU but it seems like this is just how these motors run which is great if you want the fastest accelerating thing out there but totally unacceptable for wakeboarding and general mid throttle smooth running.

I ended up having a new DF150 fitted which has completely satisfied my needs and still manages 51mph !
Old 28 August 2008, 02:23   #38

I know you're all wondering what happened...

As it turns out, I wasn't ever able to finalize a deal on an Etec this spring before their incentives programme ran out, and then it was summer and the boating has been great...

In the mean time, I continued to speak to some dealers and a few of them started to notice some concerning situations regarding cold-weather operations with the Etecs. (I gather they "suck" oil, rather than having it pumped into them...) Considering the fact I'm in Canada, and that I use the boat from April through December, often in frigid temperatures, I saw this as a potential problem for me.

And then a couple of weeks ago, the oil pump in my 2-stroke gave up the ghost...

So, at the end of this weekend, I am having a Yammie 4-stroke 150 fitted. My Friend the Hurricane Dealer has a lightly used demo engine with 8 hours on it, and he's selling it to me at his cost as he sold the boat it was on and the new owner is having it fitted with twin 90 Yammies instead...

I'll let you know how it works out and thanks so much again for all of your input and advice!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 28 August 2008, 14:07   #39

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Sounds like a great deal! Post up some pictures once you have the new OB mounted. The Hurricane should fly with that setup.
Old 28 August 2008, 19:27   #40

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
As it turns out, I wasn't ever able to finalize a deal on an Etec this spring before their incentives programme ran out, and then it was summer and the boating has been great...

In the mean time, I continued to speak to some dealers and a few of them started to notice some concerning situations regarding cold-weather operations with the Etecs. (I gather they "suck" oil, rather than having it pumped into them...) Considering the fact I'm in Canada, and that I use the boat from April through December, often in frigid temperatures, I saw this as a potential problem for me.

And then a couple of weeks ago, the oil pump in my 2-stroke gave up the ghost...

So, at the end of this weekend, I am having a Yammie 4-stroke 150 fitted. My Friend the Hurricane Dealer has a lightly used demo engine with 8 hours on it, and he's selling it to me at his cost as he sold the boat it was on and the new owner is having it fitted with twin 90 Yammies instead...

I'll let you know how it works out and thanks so much again for all of your input and advice!

I was told that they don't like using the XD 50 oil in low temp it causes the oil warning light to come on although there is no oil flow problem . They are fine when on xd100 . wether they suck it pump it iam not sure .

I took mine to the dealer yesterday and had the new rev counter fitted . He then put on the computer and it told him there was a factory note to replace the engine fuel filter with an upgraded one , so they also did that FOC .
I asked the mechanic who did the work if he was still impressed with the etecs , his reply was "yes they are fantastic , but not good for business as they only come in for service every 3 years and they see very few problems " he said they would rather sell 4 strokes for profit on servicing .
For me an engine that will still run when the battery has gone dead or failed due to electrical problems is worth a lot , from experience .