Old 30 March 2004, 02:24   #1

Town: Carolina Beach NC
Boat name: Sea Angel
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m
Engine: Optimax 115
Optimax oil use

I have just put together a RIB and have run two short sea trials. I am a bit concerned, hopefully to be pleasantly suprised, at how little oil has been consumed. I have the new 2004 Optimax 115 and have put just 3 hours on it following the recommended break in RPMs. It hardly looks like the oil level has decreased at all! Should I be happy it uses so little or should I be concerned? I did talk to the local dealer and he said he would trust the buzzer/alarm to alert of a problem with oil injection. Is their use really that low, does it work out to be a 50:1 ratio or so over time, any ideas on how to confirm all is ok before its to late? Maybe Im just a nervous newbee?

Also.... I want to voice my appreciation to all on the site for their insights and opinions over the last 6 months or so. I took alot of your wisdom and put it to good use as I put together my new boat. I ended up with a Zodiac here in the for a variety of reasons and so far am happy with the choice. I built it up as a boat that I can run as a six pack charter here in the North Carolina ICCW, the Cape Fear river, and the Coastal Atlantic Ocean. I put my console a bit far back for running solo compared to most all that Ive seen but I wanted all my passengers in front of me where I can see them easily. I put in a 32 gal tank pretty central, and a stand up helm aft. There is dedicated seats for 6 passengers, albiet a little cramped. I would like to post pictures soon as I am proud of how it came together and it does perform well during the trials. Again thanks to all and look forward to providing some USA perspectives to the discussions.
Old 30 March 2004, 06:20   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
If you think the opti doesn't use much oil wait till you start buying petrol, you wont be doing it very often! I think the Opti runs at 100.1 and yes I would be inclined to trust the gauges.

If the sensor thinks it has insufficient oil then it will switch to guardian mode.

sounds like you have a good boat!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2004, 14:56   #3

Town: West London
Boat name: Asp
Make: A BLACK Stealthly Metzeler
Length: 4m + really stealthy
Engine: Johnson 70hp VRO - not steathly at all!
sounds like you have a good boat!

David,

Can you show us a picture of it please
Is the fuel tank a single / underfloor / underconsole type.
What will it do loaded..

Pete
(really curious)
Old 02 April 2004, 01:33   #4

Pete, will try to post a couple of pics. The tank is under the console seat, it is a single aluminum. I have only run the engine up to about 4100 rpm with three onboard and got to about 32kn. I am running it with a 21" SS prop. Another neat trick was putting in beckson screw in 6" access plates so I could reach under the deck and route cables, hoses, and wiring keeping the deck nice and clean. Also allowed for through bolting of seats, console, and bolster. Will let you know more about performance when I find out. (I had to work out a couple of bugs after first trials. The shift was pull instead of push or vise versa so I had to put controls in reverse to go forward. Felt a bit silly but if that was the worst problem after all that building I still feel good.) Will update you later. David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sa1.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	5041  
Old 02 April 2004, 01:35   #5

Another picture.... Also thanks Rogue Wave for oil use feedback. I will keep a close eye on it. David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sa2.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	5042  
Old 02 April 2004, 07:51   #6

Town: West London
Boat name: Asp
Make: A BLACK Stealthly Metzeler
Length: 4m + really stealthy
Engine: Johnson 70hp VRO - not steathly at all!
Looks a very nice boat. Have fun.
Keep us updated.

Pete