Old 07 May 2024, 11:40   #1

Town: Notts
Boat name: Terra Nova
Make: Boatworld
Length: 3m +
Engine: 4stroke 9.9 Mercury
Raising the engine Mercury

Ello.

Had my second outing with my new 9.9hp 4 stroke Mercury at the weekend, running in. It's got carbs.

Don't know what there is to say about this but always happy to hear thoughts.

I had a fun time figuring out the raising mechanism - you can part or fully raise it with the ratchet clicking in at a whole range of positions.

But to get it back down to selected 1, 2 or 3 tilt settings (1 being straight down) after raising into the ratcheted positions, you actually need to bring it all the way to the highest position for the ratcheting to... stop ratcheting as you lower it so it can go all the way back down.

But a fun thing is, you can't even begin to raise it unless it's in gear, which means an open throttle.

So, when I found the bow going up somewhat at mid-throttle before getting on the plane (was on the Trent, very slow and flat with no wind), I thought "finally here's an excuse to try trimming my engine" (never bothered with my little 2.5hp).

Ended up with a presumably flooded engine that wouldn't start. I am a long time motorcyclist and have experienced this sort of thing after dropping the bike.

TL;DR You have to raise the engine all the way with an open throttle before being able to lower it, thus flooding the engine. Or am I being dim somehow?

Old 07 May 2024, 12:46   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep it's weird and... to me... stupid. When I had a new Mariner version of your motor back in 2018 I reported...

>>>One thing I thought was faulty until reading the manual... on the Mariner/Mercury 10/15hp 2-strokes you could nip them into neutral and pull up into the shallow water position. On the current Mariner they have changed the interlock so you have to stop the engine then select forward before it will tilt. No problem once you know.

So yep I far prefer the "old" way but it's not an error on your part.
Old 07 May 2024, 14:59   #3

What about the flooding bit? I've not tried, but maybe it's just put into gear to just begin tilting and then put it out of gear before tilting it further?

I don't mind stopping then engine to tilt it, it's the fact the sodding engine won't start after that annoys me .
Old 07 May 2024, 15:25   #4
RIBnet admin team

Not sure about flooding. I’ve never had any OB flood when tilted up. Do you mean you see or smell fuel or is it just a pig to start? If it an easy starter/restart when warm and not tilted?

Problem is putting into gear when running to tilt you will be both tilting the OB's weight and against the pressure of the driving prop.
Old 07 May 2024, 15:47   #5

Well, from cold it is took a little effort to start, then after tilting when it had warmed up it was a bastid, then later on, it was just a little effort again. Maybe I just need tmore practice with it. It's certainly tougher to get going than the littlun.
Old 07 May 2024, 16:24   #6
RIBnet admin team

I had read prior to purchase these engine are known to need a bit of warming up before they pull away cleanly or restart easily. I found this and would often run ours at a fast idle for an extra couple of minutes (compared to others I'd owned) after starting before committing to heading out into moving water.

Often these small engines built to run very lean benefit from the idle mixture screw turning out a little to assist starting and the transition from idle to faster running. You may have to remove a blanking plug to do this but if it's under warranty ask the dealer first.