Old 24 October 2023, 21:07   #1

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
re powering a Tornado 5m

Hi.

I am considering replacing my currrent old Merc 60hp on a 5m Tornado with either a Suzuki 60hp or a Yamaha f60/f70, I did think about the suzuki 70 but at 156kg its just too heavy.

The Suzuki with its camchain and cheaper purchase price is attractive but is it as good as a Yamaha?

What do members think who have them and any suggestions for a dealer?

We have toyota cars at home so think that Japanise engines are excellent- one has 366K miles and is running fine, hopefully the outboards are as good,perhaps its a shame that Toyota do'nt make outboards!

Many thanks

Dave
Old 24 October 2023, 21:53   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
Hi.

I am considering replacing my currrent old Merc 60hp on a 5m Tornado with either a Suzuki 60hp or a Yamaha f60/f70, I did think about the suzuki 70 but at 156kg its just too heavy.

The Suzuki with its camchain and cheaper purchase price is attractive but is it as good as a Yamaha?

What do members think who have them and any suggestions for a dealer?

We have toyota cars at home so think that Japanise engines are excellent- one has 366K miles and is running fine, hopefully the outboards are as good,perhaps its a shame that Toyota do'nt make outboards!

Many thanks

Dave
You cant go far wrong with either to be honest my brand preference is Yamaha but I have a suzuki 70 on a 5.4m rib & I'm very impressed with it easy to work on & service kits are comprehensive & not expensive so far has been a good engine its low hours (200) but cant fault it. On the other hand I have a 100hp Yamaha on another boat with over 5000 hours & its still going strong. Its a difficult call as both are good engines, probably boils down to which is the best deal & who the best dealer is locally to you.
Old 24 October 2023, 22:27   #3

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
5000 hours! Good going.
Old 25 October 2023, 14:42   #4

re powering

Thanks for the advice bemishken, has anyone got any experience with older Suzuki FS 60s and doing the servicing themselves and does the camchain never need adjustment?

Regarding the Yamaha F60/70 I do know for definite that my dive clubs 1152S is really the most marvellous engine, yes it has a bit of a drink problem but its 27 yrs old and apart from a bit of a tricky intermittent switchbox & stator fault last year is really perfect, no corrosion plenty of power and torque and very easy to service.

Has anyone on RIBnet got the Yamaha f60/f70 and again how do they find servicing themselves, how often does the cambelt need replacing and is it easy to do?

I am in the east midlands and have a number of potential dealers to contact, is it a case of just shopping around?

thanks everyone

Dave
Old 25 October 2023, 16:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
5000 hours! Good going.
Previously owned by a commercial fisherman who was also into motorsports so he knew the importance of regular oil changes & servicing so it was well cared for [emoji106]
Old 25 October 2023, 16:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
Thanks for the advice bemishken, has anyone got any experience with older Suzuki FS 60s and doing the servicing themselves and does the camchain never need adjustment?

Regarding the Yamaha F60/70 I do know for definite that my dive clubs 1152S is really the most marvellous engine, yes it has a bit of a drink problem but its 27 yrs old and apart from a bit of a tricky intermittent switchbox & stator fault last year is really perfect, no corrosion plenty of power and torque and very easy to service.

Has anyone on RIBnet got the Yamaha f60/f70 and again how do they find servicing themselves, how often does the cambelt need replacing and is it easy to do?

I am in the east midlands and have a number of potential dealers to contact, is it a case of just shopping around?

thanks everyone

Dave
I've done cam belts on yams, its not particularly difficult if your handy, easier than most cars nowadays. You do need a flywheel puller & a torque wrench as the flywheel has to come off first but after that its simple to line up the dots. Once every 5 or 6 years isnt a big deal imho.
When Suzuki first brought out the cam chain drive I wondered how long chains would last when they were running horizontally and constantly running on one side but so far I've never heard of one with a chain issue. Suzukis are generaly easy to service with most things having good access
Old 28 October 2023, 17:13   #7

Thanks for all the infomation, I thnk now its a case of shopping about.

Dave