Old 09 August 2023, 19:47   #1

Town: Cambridge
Make: AVON
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke
Repower advice 60-70hp

Hi all,

I've got an ex RN Avon SR4.7, fitted with solid foam pontoons rather than the usual tubes... which makes it very heavy! The hull is also blocked off from factory due to this/Hugh loads carried.

It's currently fitted with a 2-stroke Tohatsu 50hp, which whilst a nice engine, is somewhat underpowered for the boat, with WOT being 26 kts and cruise being approx 17.5 kts. As such I'm looking to repower.

I've heard all of the dealer spiels and read all the quotes, but I'd like to use the wealth of experience on here to help me decide!

The options are: (all prices approx)

##########

Tohatsu MFS60 @ £6900
Mercury/Mariner DF60hp @ £6500 (7.2 fitted!)
Suzuki DF60 @ £7900
Honda BF60 @ £8700

Honda BFP60 hi-thrust @ £9400
Suzuki DF60 hi-thrust @ £8200
Yamaha F60 hi-thrust @ £9500

Yamaha F70 @£9500

##########

So... what would people choose if they were in my situation? Open to all opinions

Side note... why are some dealers quoting me 32+ hours labour to rig???? From experience it takes a few hours max... not several days! Fortunately some are much more reasonable...

TIA
Old 09 August 2023, 20:45   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Personally I dont think going up 10hp will give you any significant gains aren't they rated to 70hp? Probably best to max out the engine with the extra weight your carrying
From your list the 70 Yamaha would be the obvious choice but it is the most expensive option. If your happy with 60hp then the tohatsu being the cheapest would probably be my choice as most motors nowadays are so close in terms of quality/reliability theres little to chose between them. My personal preference of make would be Yamaha first then Suzuki but in reality theres not much to set any of the makers apart imho. I dont think you realy need the high thrust gearbox, the standard lower unit will probably be a little quicker
Old 09 August 2023, 21:20   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
A 50hp 2 stroke will have similar torque to a 4stroke 60-70hp. So I doubt you’ll gain much apart from weight & an empty wallet.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2023, 05:08   #4

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
A 50hp 2 stroke will have similar torque to a 4stroke 60-70hp. So I doubt you’ll gain much apart from weight & an empty wallet.
& lower fuel consumption.
Old 10 August 2023, 05:14   #5

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandAlex View Post
Hi all,

I've got an ex RN Avon SR4.7, fitted with solid foam pontoons rather than the usual tubes... which makes it very heavy! The hull is also blocked off from factory due to this/Hugh loads carried.

It's currently fitted with a 2-stroke Tohatsu 50hp, which whilst a nice engine, is somewhat underpowered for the boat, with WOT being 26 kts and cruise being approx 17.5 kts. As such I'm looking to repower.

I've heard all of the dealer spiels and read all the quotes, but I'd like to use the wealth of experience on here to help me decide!

##########

Tohatsu MFS60 @ £6900
Suzuki DF60 @ £7900
Honda BF60 @ £8700

Yamaha F70 @£9500

##########

So... what would people choose if they were in my situation? Open to all opinions

Side note... why are some dealers quoting me 32+ hours labour to rig???? From experience it takes a few hours max... not several days! Fortunately some are much more reasonable...

TIA
I have a feeling that Hondas come with an inclusive rigging kit so would be worth checking and confirming what is included there.

The other metric to include is warranty, Tohatsu is 7 years but parts only with only 3 years parts & labour.
Id also look at who your nearest dealer is for service & parts post purchase.

Worth considering the value of your boat & its saleability, what could you buy "ready made" that's newer and more suitable / capable? Pre covid I purchased a SR4 with a 12m old 50hp Tohatsu, trailer of similar age, newish radio and plotter for the cost of those engines. There are deals to be had if you're in a strong position to buy and it could be better for you if you're not too attached to what you have now.
Old 10 August 2023, 06:38   #6

Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 200HP
A 90HP Yam 2 stroke, if you don’t like that, a 75HP Yam 2 stroke 🤷
Old 10 August 2023, 10:48   #7

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandAlex View Post
Hi all,

##########

Tohatsu MFS60 @ £6900
Suzuki DF60 @ £7900
Honda BF60 @ £8700

Yamaha F70 @£9500

##########

TIA
Hi Alex ,i have attached my invoice for your interest when i had a 60 swapped for a 100 (four strokes ) on my 5.3 , my expieriences with the job were exceptional and the engine i took off and the engine i put on were both in immaculate working order (60 hrs on the honda)
the performance uplift was good with regard to pick up and solid feel ,but if your looking for speed i would buy a new boat !.........this was a 40hp upgrade (both four strokes both fuel injected) top speed went from 32knots to 37knots ,
note on my costs ...every wire and fuel line in the underdeck trunking was knackered and i had to buy a new sidemount as the second hander had a top mount controller
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230810_102138633.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	143330  
Old 10 August 2023, 16:48   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
If it were me, I’d repower with a Yamaha 75hp 2-stroke. Unless your Avon SR is a keeper, then the money will always be in the outboard if you go down the 4-stroke route.

If you opt for a new outboard, then you’re likely to split down the line if you sell as mid range new 4-strokes are always desirable for those in a similar position looking to repower.

Bill Higham usually has Yamahas for sale, and expect to pay £3k or there-abouts.

If the SR is a keeper, then the Yamaha 70hp would be my choice. It’s probably the lightest of the selection put forward, propped right as you’d want hole shot rather than outright speed I’d have thought?

No idea where they get 32 hours to rig from? Sticking on a 2-stroke with conventional throttle and gear controls, you can use existing fuel pipe and swap out Tohatsu quick release fuel connectors. Not sure if current 50hp is electric start or pull start, add in battery cables. Do it in working day with all tools in place and ability to lift outboards on and off.