Old 30 July 2024, 11:50   #1

Town: Whitchurch
Boat name: seanoevil
Make: Ribquest
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Ribquest 6.3 2012, Suzuki df140

Hi all , I recently bought the Ribquest 2012 6.3m with the Suzuki df140
I took her out for the first time on Sunday, perfect weather calm seas2 people onboard , after running at slow speed checking everything was good and the engine was warmed up I opened to WOT ,, she wouldn’t get above 5k rpm 32knotts ,, it has a ss prop but no visible sizes ,, does anyone else have a similar set up and what size prop would be suitable looking at the specs 14”but unsure of best pitch to go for ,the motor does run well and recently serviced normally would be upto 4 people onboard no additional weight to speak of , I would’ve thought minimum 6k rpm and 38knotts
Tia
Andy
Old 30 July 2024, 18:48   #2

Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoevil View Post
I took her out for the first time on Sunday, perfect weather calm seas2 people onboard , after running at slow speed checking everything was good and the engine was warmed up I opened to WOT ,, she wouldn’t get above 5k rpm 32knotts ,, it has a ss prop but no visible sizes ,, does anyone else have a similar set up and what size prop would be suitable looking at the specs 14”but unsure of best pitch to go for ,the motor does run well and recently serviced normally would be upto 4 people onboard no additional weight to speak of , I would’ve thought minimum 6k rpm and 38knotts
Tia
Andy
That’s a small engine for that size of boat
Old 30 July 2024, 19:42   #3
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
I would agree with the brief reply by 69cmw, but elaborate a little, because it might help?

So yeah, your Suzi has 140 horsies, but they have short legs - allegedly making them equal to around 130 normal horsies. This won't be helping, and it's because as you know, the 140 was a bored out 115. Again, you seem to know you should be exceeding 6k rev. With a new to you boat, you probably have very little insight into the thinking of the previous owner and their intentions. They may have simply scored a shiny prop on Ebay.

I have no idea how your craft and engine SHOULD perform in ideal circumstances. That said, IIWY, I would:

1. Lighten the boat to 2 up, half a tank of gas, anchor and a warp. Make sure the bilges are dry - some boats are bought holding 1/4 ton of water - no bueno. Run the test both ways - upwind/current, downwind/current, average it out. Remember to trim all the way out until she's ready to blow out.

2. You are now doing whatever that prop is gonna do. Reprop to achieve around 6000-6200 rpm. You may have some twiddling to do around hole shots and top end.

3. If you had these results from a Suzi 175, I'd say it had a problem. Not so much the 140.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if that rig hits over 35kts light ship.
Old 31 July 2024, 08:03   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Tia
Andy
I had a 585 with a 90 Suzuki on it and did 40 knots two up WOT 5k means wrong prop IMO
Old 31 July 2024, 08:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I had a 585 with a 90 Suzuki on it and did 40 knots two up WOT 5k means wrong prop IMO
Thanks , yes I suspect it’s the wrong prop , my question is what size prop would others recommend who have a similar set up as quoted in my op 🤔
Old 31 July 2024, 08:54   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Not knowing what pitch you are starting with makes this a bit harder but how about putting the prop into someone like Steel Developments for them to check the pitch and go from there with a reasonable assumption of the change you'd see and their advice?

Or perhaps try measuring yourself?

Old 31 July 2024, 08:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I would agree with the brief reply by 69cmw, but elaborate a little, because it might help?

So yeah, your Suzi has 140 horsies, but they have short legs - allegedly making them equal to around 130 normal horsies. This won't be helping, and it's because as you know, the 140 was a bored out 115. Again, you seem to know you should be exceeding 6k rev. With a new to you boat, you probably have very little insight into the thinking of the previous owner and their intentions. They may have simply scored a shiny prop on Ebay.

I have no idea how your craft and engine SHOULD perform in ideal circumstances. That said, IIWY, I would:

1. Lighten the boat to 2 up, half a tank of gas, anchor and a warp. Make sure the bilges are dry - some boats are bought holding 1/4 ton of water - no bueno. Run the test both ways - upwind/current, downwind/current, average it out. Remember to trim all the way out until she's ready to blow out.

2. You are now doing whatever that prop is gonna do. Reprop to achieve around 6000-6200 rpm. You may have some twiddling to do around hole shots and top end.

3. If you had these results from a Suzi 175, I'd say it had a problem. Not so much the 140.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if that rig hits over 35kts light ship.
Thanks , yes I was running the boat as you have suggested,, 2 Medium sized lads ( debatable) anchor , rope n chain and lunch , ( that may have been the problem &#128514 a few runs either way of the wind n tide, hull was dry , surprisingly relatively light rib compared to the maestral 745 I had ,but still only achieved 5k rpm ,, I will get her re propped , just after others opinions on sizes they run with similar set ups , there would never be more than 4 peeps on board , not for any length of time,
Old 31 July 2024, 10:15   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I have that engine on a RC545 which although is nearly a metre shorter, is probably heavier. After much trial/error/expense I ended up with a 4 blade 19p”x13 prop from steel developments. I’m now hitting 6200 rpm, 37kn. Holeshot is good (holeshot is way more important than top speed imho) and doing just over 1nm/litre. That 2 up in a relatively heavy boat, if I’m fully fuelled, I can carry 180litres.
https://www.steeldevelopments.net/pr...l-hr4-d-series
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2024, 11:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I have that engine on a RC545 which although is nearly a metre shorter, is probably heavier. After much trial/error/expense I ended up with a 4 blade 19p”x13 prop from steel developments. I’m now hitting 6200 rpm, 37kn. Holeshot is good (holeshot is way more important than top speed imho) and doing just over 1nm/litre. That 2 up in a relatively heavy boat, if I’m fully fuelled, I can carry 180litres.
https://www.steeldevelopments.net/pr...l-hr4-d-series
Thanks Dave , that’s great info
Old 31 July 2024, 11:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Not knowing what pitch you are starting with makes this a bit harder but how about putting the prop into someone like Steel Developments for them to check the pitch and go from there with a reasonable assumption of the change you'd see and their advice?

Or perhaps try measuring yourself?

Thank you , yes I can do something like this , my boat is based in pwhelli I’ll take the prop off and take it to the guys at harbour marine , I like the sound of Dave’s advise on a 4 blade tbh 🤞
Old 31 July 2024, 12:09   #11

RIBase
I have a 17”p x13 4 blade solas that you are welcome to try. It’s what I use if I’m expecting to be more heavily loaded than normal. It should be too short for your setup, but it will allow you to prove that it’s a prop issue & nothing else. I’d expect you to be hitting the 6500 limiter with this prop. If it works, you know you can go to the 19”. I frequent Warrington on a regular basis (going there this weekend) if you want to try it, you’re welcome to collect it. It’s in perfect condition, so as long as it comes back in the same state, it’s yours to try.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 31 July 2024, 13:53   #12

Town: Manchester
We run a DF140 on a Ribcraft 585 so a little smaller than your setup.

We’ve settled on a 3 x 14 x 21 stainless Suzuki prop which gives a nice balance on hole shot and top end (will touch 40 knts 2 up without too much fuel) but it can be a compromise when heavily loaded with a full tank of fuel (180l) or towing inflatables.

I’m going to try a 4 blade at some point, might make sense with the bigger setup depending on your plans.

Be careful with diameter - the 140 is designed and geared for a 14” prop so if you go smaller it changes other characteristics
Old 31 July 2024, 14:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbxyz View Post
We run a DF140 on a Ribcraft 585 so a little smaller than your setup.

We’ve settled on a 3 x 14 x 21 stainless Suzuki prop which gives a nice balance on hole shot and top end (will touch 40 knts 2 up without too much fuel) but it can be a compromise when heavily loaded with a full tank of fuel (180l) or towing inflatables.

I’m going to try a 4 blade at some point, might make sense with the bigger setup depending on your plans.

Be careful with diameter - the 140 is designed and geared for a 14” prop so if you go smaller it changes other characteristics
Thanks for this ,, very useful information 👍
Old 31 July 2024, 14:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I have a 17”p x13 4 blade solas that you are welcome to try. It’s what I use if I’m expecting to be more heavily loaded than normal. It should be too short for your setup, but it will allow you to prove that it’s a prop issue & nothing else. I’d expect you to be hitting the 6500 limiter with this prop. If it works, you know you can go to the 19”. I frequent Warrington on a regular basis (going there this weekend) if you want to try it, you’re welcome to collect it. It’s in perfect condition, so as long as it comes back in the same state, it’s yours to try.
Thanks Dave , yes I wouldn’t mind taking you up on that ,, I’m not a million miles from Warrington, I’m in Malpas Whitchurch
Old 06 August 2024, 18:34   #15

Quote:
Tia
Andy
Thanks for your replies everyone especially pikey Dave ,, very kindly leant me two stainless steel props to try ,, I’ve never met Dave but he kindly left them outside a property for me to collect as he wouldn’t be available at the time I could collect so still haven’t met him!!
Once I took my old prop off I found the sizes at the rear of the hub , it was running a 14”/26p 3 blade , way over propped , I had a 14”20p 3 blade (one of Dave’s ) to try , fitted it , got the boat on the water , rough conditions today from Abererch, but instantly felt the difference,, literally night and day !! Acceleration through the range , managed to find some slightly sheltered water and got her in the 6200 rpm range 39 knotts 2 blokes full fuel , was that happy with the performance I don’t need to try the other prop ,, , boat is now at a Suzuki dealer just checking everything else is good on the motor then ready for some good runs out ,, thanks again Dave , there’s still some good people out there 👍
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	145868  
Old 06 August 2024, 21:06   #16

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Thanks for your replies everyone especially pikey Dave ,, very kindly leant me two stainless steel props to try ,, I’ve never met Dave but he kindly left them outside a property for me to collect as he wouldn’t be available at the time I could collect so still haven’t met him!!
Once I took my old prop off I found the sizes at the rear of the hub , it was running a 14”/26p 3 blade , way over propped , I had a 14”20p 3 blade (one of Dave’s ) to try , fitted it , got the boat on the water , rough conditions today from Abererch, but instantly felt the difference,, literally night and day !! Acceleration through the range , managed to find some slightly sheltered water and got her in the 6200 rpm range 39 knotts 2 blokes full fuel , was that happy with the performance I don’t need to try the other prop ,, , boat is now at a Suzuki dealer just checking everything else is good on the motor then ready for some good runs out ,, thanks again Dave , there’s still some good people out there 👍
Cracking bloke Dave lots like him on here if willing to listen very glad you got sorted
Old 06 August 2024, 23:19   #17

Quote:
Cracking bloke Dave lots like him on here if willing to listen very glad you got sorted
Thanks buddy 👍
Old 07 August 2024, 08:30   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Aww Jeff!!
Old 07 August 2024, 09:50   #19

Town: Manchester
Great result, is that a Suzuki stainless 14 x 20?
Old 07 August 2024, 10:03   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbxyz View Post
Great result, is that a Suzuki stainless 14 x 20?
Yup

Tags
rib, suzuki