Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 11 October 2023, 05:05   #21

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
I’ve never drained any of my outboards, motorbikes or garden machinery and never yet had any issues, sometimes leaving them for 8 months plus 🤷🏼
Same for me until I started to drain these two outboards just once based on somthing I read on this forum or another one. I will return to leaving them as I finished the days use
Old 11 October 2023, 07:53   #22

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
I’ve never drained any of my outboards, motorbikes or garden machinery and never yet had any issues, sometimes leaving them for 8 months plus 🤷🏼

Same here, chainsaw/brush cutter/ride on mower/generator, a decent mix of 2 & 4 stroke & even a 2/4stroke. Never drained them between uses & it can be over 12months between runs.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 10:27   #23

Town: ...
Boat name: none
Make: Honwave 3.5-AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 6hp
I run my Mariner 6hp dry and the bowl still contains a few cc's of fuel which I have now started to drain. I put Startron in the fuel also. Garages in Ireland sell E10 fuel only.
There is a black deposit on the jets which no amount of carb cleaner can shift but the engine runs fine
Old 11 October 2023, 20:32   #24

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
I posted this thread as always to help others. Several people have replied in a respectful manner. One person has not. You can lead a horse to water
You posted as you often do in the hope of an argument. Your opening post seemed to infer that partially draining the carb had suddenly resulted in you having fuel issues which is obviously nonsense. Afaik most folk run carbs dry to reduce leakage in vehicles, anyone who is serious about avoiding fuel issues would open the drain in the float bowl & drain any water too. But of course you dont do maintenance nevermind preventative maintenance. Then when you got no bites you went on to say the remaining fuel left in the carbs left even more residue when allowed to evaporate further which seems to confirm that less fuel would probably result in less residue after the fuel evaporates.
So whilst most folk, myself included who dont drain fuel have relatively few issues with plugged jets your own observations seem to suggest that less fuel would equal less residue & potentially fewer issues.
Either way anecdotal evidence proves little & I doubt anyone will undertake a proper scientific study to prove either way.
I think it boils down to what the individual is comfortable doing & how far they want to go to potentially reduce risks.
Old 12 October 2023, 11:31   #25

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
You posted as you often do in the hope of an argument. Your opening post seemed to infer that partially draining the carb had suddenly resulted in you having fuel issues which is obviously nonsense.
But of course you dont do maintenance nevermind preventative maintenance. Then when you got no bites you went on to say the remaining fuel left in the carbs left even more residue when allowed to evaporate further which seems to confirm that less fuel would probably result in less residue after the fuel evaporates.
Would removing otherwise operational thermostats count as maintenance, preventative maintenance, or lack of maintenance?
Old 12 October 2023, 15:08   #26

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Would removing otherwise operational thermostats count as maintenance, preventative maintenance, or lack of maintenance?

That’s funny 🤣