Old 22 July 2008, 15:51   #1

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Suzuki 140 first service

Put a new engine on the RIB last week after some f***er nicked the old one.

Book says first oil change at 20 hrs, which is a real pain since i launched last weekend heading for france then the channel islands and, once run in was complete did exactly that. The service light came on at exactly 20 hrs, and i guess i have put another 30 on it now (stupid cheap instruments with no hour counter)

My question: should i get excited and go pick the boat up by trailor (i've abondoned it W of the solent in a marina) or just carry on home next weekend, putting another 10-20 hrs on the engine.

I was considering hopping back via Alderney, but that is yet another 5-10 hours, is this a silly idea when the 1st service is overdue?

I called a few dealers on the S.coast, they all said the boat would have to be out of the water since the first service is a gearbox and engine oil change so they cant help where it is, it needs to get back to the dealer who fitted it, or out of the water, in which case i may as well tow it back to the dealer who fitted it.
Old 22 July 2008, 16:07   #2

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Personally I would change the oil myself since its the first post running in change and then get it to a dealer and get him to do the change and service.
There is no real issue about doing more oil changes than needed as they won't do any harm.
At least, expense aside, you know the motor will come to no long term harm.
Old 22 July 2008, 19:32   #3

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
If you have done 3o hours since the service light came on are you not going to invalidate the Wty?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2008, 19:56   #4

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Yep, if it spontaneously explodes at the moment the warranty will be invalid. However he is way past that time now anyway and is a minimum 5 hours running away from getting it done.
I think the main mistake was taking the boat away knowing it would be well out of the first service period before managing to get it done.
The running in period is 10 hours anyway so the first service is not too long after this.
Old 23 July 2008, 15:35   #5

extra oil change it is then, dont know why i did not think of this, then the dealer can do it all again in a week or two.

obviously i was well aware of the potential warrenty problem when i left with a 0 hour engine and 400-500 miles ahead!!! but i had no choice, 6 mates had taken a weeks holiday to do this trip and people were booked at various locations along the route. I am using the boat as a support boat for some sailing, so its all unstressed stuff at less than 4000rpm. The 10 hour run-in was completed on the first day. How many 1 week old motors have 50 hours on i wonder!!!
Old 23 July 2008, 21:14   #6

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
You could always get it serviced by the Suzuki dealer in Guernsey or Jersey.... it will even save you the vat! And you could fill up with cheap fuel.
Old 24 July 2008, 14:39   #7

would you be so kind as to hunt out contact detials, please!!!
Old 24 July 2008, 20:12   #8

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Certainly.

My top recommendation would be Shoreline Marine in Guernsey. The owner/mechanic is Bob and he is first class. You can get him on 07781101811. Tell him Keith from Jersey recommended him

Secondly, you could try DK Collins in Jersey. They may not be as flexible to fit you in as Bob, but they are also approved Suzzy dealers. Ideally you need to speak to Roger. Tel 01534 732415

Best of luck

Keith
Old 05 August 2008, 10:50   #9

Thanks for details, Jersey people (and i am sure Guernsey) were helpful and i am sure would have done the business. So much more helpful than people on the southcoast, odd er?

Weather forecast was windy (which it was) so i decided a single rib crossing on a single engine was off, which given the seas encountered within 5 miles of the coast, would seam to have been a good idea. Beachy head saw some of the most challenging seas i can recall encountering for a long time.

Oil and filter sourced on eBay and delivered no problem last week, this is an easy job and the engine has not blown up yet!

Pleased I did this, given the conditions the trip back took over 12 hours (245nm), sometimes we struggled to make 15 knts, but then there was 27 gusting 30 knts of wind. I was just pleased the wind was behind me!