Click Here to Login

Old 30 May 2024, 15:10   #21

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Like you I spent big money on several mechanics who didn’t find water in my fuel system. I’ve had silicon used instead of a gasket on a water pump during a service, don’t put too much faith in mechanics is all I’m saying. I’ve known the woodruff key not in the impeller and the vanes pointing in the wrong direction. Since you get a telltail with the mains water my bet is the pump. Full service vid below

https://youtu.be/3Co3O-S64Xw?si=t3q79G9SQLVRtWo_
Old 30 May 2024, 15:34   #22

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Apologies in advance for the thread drift. Whilst I was watching Easdalenovice's excellent video about Rydlym (you never know I may need to use it one day), I couldn't help but notice the spark plugs.
I'd be very careful if I was you Dennis when you come to do your annual service/maintenance. I think they have corroded so much that there's a possibility they could snap, they obviously don't make them like they use to.
There are a lot of wasted Spark plugs in the world. It is the inside that is important.

So many people like to speak a lot of theory but as you know I prefer real world experience. Those spark plugs are still going strong and are in the boat at the moment hacking about in Torbay. A few weeks ago they were hacking about in the inner Hebrides. I Cary a spare set and will replace them if these ones fail.

I have a chain saw that I have owned and used for 35 years. Its spark plug has never even been out let alone changed.

The world does not need the waste that is caused by that word and institution annual service. Many people make their whole living from ‘Servicing’ and don’t like to hear real world experience and the truth.

I think those spark plugs have been in over 8 years and that little rib is used a lot. So kind of proves the point doesn’t it ����
Old 30 May 2024, 17:37   #23

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
I didn't mention replacing the spark plugs, that would be a waste if there's nothing wrong with them. However taking them out , cleaning them and resetting the gaps is usually part and parcel of a service, which in my real world experience improves performance and saves fuel.
It was an observation Dennis, I just thought that they may be difficult to remove due to so much corrosion, but I suppose that doesn't matter if you don't ever take them out.
Old 31 May 2024, 05:48   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I didn't mention replacing the spark plugs, that would be a waste if there's nothing wrong with them. However taking them out , cleaning them and resetting the gaps is usually part and parcel of a service, which in my real world experience improves performance and saves fuel.
It was an observation Dennis, I just thought that they may be difficult to remove due to so much corrosion, but I suppose that doesn't matter if you don't ever take them out.
on that outboard I have indeed removed and cleaned them. Plugs seldom corrode to the head
Old 31 May 2024, 06:17   #25

Town: Boat is in Plymouth
Boat name: T/T Coracle
Make: Brig
Engine: Suzuki DF20 ATS
My original question was perhaps generic, I've now got questions about my specific motor a Suzuki DF20ATS and I think I ought to post those in Fenlander's long-running thread: https://www.rib.net/forum/f36/suzuki...ice-75209.html
I'll come back here if it seems the right place.
Old 31 May 2024, 09:45   #26
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>Many people make their whole living from ‘Servicing’ and don’t like to hear real world experience and the truth.

Remember your "real world truth" is a very small sample of personal experience to you and those close by... but those of us who have lived a real world truth working in areas where maintenance is key, and with much larger samples to pull experience from, know the cost, inconvenience and potential threat to health from not bothering.
Old 31 May 2024, 15:48   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>Many people make their whole living from ‘Servicing’ and don’t like to hear real world experience and the truth.

Remember your "real world truth" is a very small sample of personal experience to you and those close by... but those of us who have lived a real world truth working in areas where maintenance is key, and with much larger samples to pull experience from, know the cost, inconvenience and potential threat to health from not bothering.
Yup how did that work out on the Johnson. I have owned more IC engines than you can comprehend so I think I will follow my real world.

Currently own over 80 IC engines. Can’t afford to be too OCD with that lot
Old 31 May 2024, 16:38   #28
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> how did that work out on the Johnson.

I'm sorry you found the loss of the Johnson traumatic to the degree of still being obsessed with it some 8 months after the event. I put it behind me before we were home from the outing.

There is a great irony in your constant mention of that Johnson though. On a previous used 2-stroke OB purchase I went beyond a normal service to remove the exhaust plate and head for a thorough examination of the waterways so I could be sure the cooling was as reliable as any used OB can be. For undertaking such detailed work you have over the years since attempted to throw ridicule my way and hint at a mental health condition. However had I the time to carry out such investigation on the Johnson before that initial trip I would have found/cleaned the blockages so likely still be running that motor today.

So actually it is complete proof of just how worthwhile preventive maintenance can be.

Oh and re your 80 IC engines... I refer you to Shania Twain... she had you sussed.
Old 31 May 2024, 20:25   #29

Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
Yup how did that work out on the Johnson. I have owned more IC engines than you can comprehend so I think I will follow my real world.

Currently own over 80 IC engines. Can’t afford to be too OCD with that lot
I know it may bore others to death, but I would be really interested in seeing a complete list of your 80 ice's.
Old 31 May 2024, 20:27   #30
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>> how did that work out on the Johnson.

I'm sorry you found the loss of the Johnson traumatic to the degree of still being obsessed with it some 8 months after the event..
Johnson failure is not uncommon yet not everyone is comfortable talking about it. He may have unresolved issues...
Old 31 May 2024, 21:22   #31

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
No you don’t another possible 80 threads especially with no service history
Old 31 May 2024, 21:26   #32