Old 03 June 2014, 12:06   #1

Length: 5m +
Throttle control box

My rib has a standard throttle control box, it's mounted on the right hand side of the console. It's got a trim switch on the top of the lever, killcord switch, a fast idle lever, and you operate the choke by pushing in the key.

Any ideas if it's possible to get a replacement lever for this type of unit? The present one got knocked whilst the boat was in storage and unfortunately it's cracked, but I don't really want the expense of replacing the whole box if it's avoidable.

I've had a look at some parts diagrams but they don't make it that easy to work it out...

(engine is a 75hp 2 stroke Mariner by the way)
Old 03 June 2014, 12:56   #2

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
parts are available contact any merc/mar dealer, try turbo at blackdog marine.
Old 03 June 2014, 17:31   #3
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Try this website (it was posted by someone else on here - so I can't take any of the credit )

http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

If you go to the Mercruiser manuals, go the very last manual - it's full of throttle types, inlcuding how to take them apart, and there's an illustrated parts list and a full list of part numbers.
Old 03 June 2014, 17:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
Try this website (it was posted by someone else on here - so I can't take any of the credit )

Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!

If you go to the Mercruiser manuals, go the very last manual - it's full of throttle types, inlcuding how to take them apart, and there's an illustrated parts list and a full list of part numbers.
Great! Never would have been able to work out the right part number without that, thanks very much!
Old 06 June 2014, 14:46   #5

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Is it a Merc box you have?

The interna lmechanisms on most of those bozxes are identical - and it's usually the box itself gets trashed.

The lever itself is held on by a single screw into the hub (round the back - you'll need to remove the box from the console) - the lever "shaft" is a square peg that will go in either side of the box, and is a standard size. Only thing that might be a problem if you "borrow" another box's lever is the neutral lock catches are different sizes.

I used a PT lever off a Tohatsu control (it had a PT switch) to work my Yam 703 box.... controlling my merc! - if that helps to put this in perspective!

Where I'm going here is that if it's the lever is knackered I think there will be plenty of "preloved" ones left over from box deaths. Ask Davie on here, other "used bits dealers" will also likely have something you can use.