RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>Now that looks quite a minter 15 yam

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7-ab3d3ef74c85

That Yamaha has been hanging about for sale for ages. It's clearly suffered a significant localised overheat, you can see from the browned paint on the powerhead.

The Tohatsu though is a very interesting prospect.
Old 01 August 2024, 09:42   #84

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
Steve

I think the perfect second outboard for your boat is a Yamaha 15 hp 2 stroke. They are quite available at the moment and remember if you find a 9.9 hp version just replace the reed valves you have a 15 hp. If you find a bit of a scratched up one your painting ability would quickly sort that out. The weight is very managable at 36kg and the fuel consumption is very good also. If you then had the 9.8, 15 and 20 you would have the perfect set for different circumstances and also backups shoul you have a fail on any day. I suspect in your truck you could carry the 15 and 9.8 at the same time. Christmas tree bags fit the 15 and 9.8 very well and have good handles to carry them with
Thanks for the compliment about the "painting" but it's still a steep learning curve! I didn't realise that it took so long for Clear Coat to fully harden off, some say upto a month per coat, that would be 3 months!
I now have a lovely embossed pattern on the lower leg where I lay it down on a sheet to transport it home.

As for the 15hp 2 stroke Yam, I don't think it would be the ideal 2nd OB for me. Firstly I want a 2nd OB to use on the Lakes which has a speed limit of 10 knots. As most of those trips will be solo, any extra hp would be unnecessary. On the odd occasion it is with family I will use the 20 hp EFI Merc.

The other reason I wanted a lighter weight set up was to launch in those really inaccessible places that I can't currently get to. For that I need a light weight OB that I can carry down a very steep shingle beach for at least 100 mtrs to the waters edge. I'm relatively fit, but at 37kg for the 15hp Yam I know I would struggle. I will also want a lighter weight Sib. Now this bit will please you, I have been looking at the Honwave T32 which I think fits the bill for what I will be doing, and as I will be solo the sloping deck isn't a problem, but that will have to wait until next year.
Old 01 August 2024, 11:25   #85

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Have a look through this lot. If you get the correct one they are excellent for putting your 9.8 in and to carry it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Christm...f=nb_sb_noss_1
Old 09 August 2024, 19:16   #86

Managed to get out on Windermere today, it's become my 2nd home recently!

Launched from Fell Foot again, but this time as a blow and go sibber. I went to pay and the guy in the office said if we can get the sib in the water over a small grass bank, not using the slipway, we didn't have to pay! Another advantage of having the 9.8 Tohatsu

Decent weather, if a little breezy. The plan was to go to Bowness for lunch, doing a few prop tests on the way.

2 up, dog, kit & 17 ltrs fuel, 3rd trim hole. Average of there and back 1/4 mile was 5190 rpm - 11.8 knots. A little up on our last trip.

We stopped off as Isla (dog) needed to stretch her legs. I took the opportunity to try the Polastorm 7.5p solo.

1 up, kit & 17 ltrs fuel, 2nd trim hole. Average of there and back 1/4 mile was 5490 rpm - 13.8 knots. Very similar to what it was with the 7.5p OE Tohatsu prop.
Tried it with the pin in the 3rd trim hole, far to much ventilation and loss of grip in turns.

Up to Bowness, moored up on the public pontoon and had a very good lunch at the "Broadwalk". Noticed that the weather was changing so I checked the forecast - 25 mph wind, gusting 35 mph from the South. Head on for our trip back to Fell Foot.
What a choppy, bouncy and wet trip back. I loved it, Diane used some words which I think ment she wasn't keen!
Old 09 August 2024, 21:57   #87
RIBnet admin team

I only record speeds and rev date for comparisons and known performance at a point in time but then once recorded maximum speed is of little interest as the sea conditions so often prevent that being used. Hence the following comments aren't about who's got the fastest.

However a bit surprised your figures are slightly lower than ours as I always thought the Aerotec was the slow boat. But you have commented on yours being beamy and I reckon this must be a factor you need a bit of power like your 20hp to overcome.
Old 09 August 2024, 22:20   #88

I agree with you about top end speed, it's more how the sib & OB perform as a complete set up and at the moment I am happy with the way things are, especially one up.
When we moored up on the pontoon at Bowness we had a Boatworld 380 V next to us. The SD360 made the 380 V look very small, not only in width but also tube diameter. I think it's big size has loads of benefits, but it is at the expense of needing the extra hp.
Old 27 August 2024, 08:02   #89

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
lnteresting thread. l've got a 9.8 Tohatsu on our Zodiac 2.8 (solid floor, air keel)

With the 9.8 this little SIB goes like a rocket. Two up it will hit 15.5 knots and solo, around 17.5
Planing is instant if the throttle is opened. I did similar testing to the O/P and ended up with 20mm packing on the transom.

This was mainly to stop splashback which was quite bad with no packing.

We've just come back from Windermere but there's a 6/10 knot speed limit so only trolled around. Once on the plane l find it difficult not to exceed the speed limits as the boat soon increases speed.

We had a great time though. At WOT the Tohatsu is on 5,500 rpm.

l actually tried a 9.5 pitch prop a few years ago, the boat still achieves the same speeds but at 500rpm less. So WOT at around 17 knots was 5,000rpm. Getting on the plane took a bit longer. Two up it took a few seconds and my wife had to sit forward. No such issue with the standard prop.
Old 27 August 2024, 08:59   #90
RIBnet admin team

>>tried a 9.5 pitch prop... same speeds but 500rpm less... Getting on the plane took a bit longer. Two up it took a few seconds and my wife had to sit forward.

That's interesting and shows how much a 1" pitch change can alter the feel of an outfit.
Old 28 August 2024, 20:51   #91
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
That's interesting and shows how much a 1" pitch change can alter the feel of an outfit.
My experience with Yamaha stock props on same load and conditions:

12" - bogging down, missing 500rpm, pants
10" - Crazy pick-up, over revving by 200rpm, slow, pants
11" - Bang on, Goldilocks prop.

Go figure
Old 28 August 2024, 21:39   #92

And yet there are still some who will run the stock prop that came on their OB without knowing what the rpm is at wot, and never know if they achieve the best from their OB.
Old 29 August 2024, 03:20   #93

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
And yet there are still some who will run the stock prop that came on their OB without knowing what the rpm is at wot, and never know if they achieve the best from their OB.
Works for us and we are very happy and satisfied with our set ups.

You can spend ages faffing with loads of different stuff and forget to actually enjoy your day out on the water.

Each to their own
Old 29 August 2024, 06:53   #94

It wasn't aimed at you SR it was a general observation. I know of many who don't do any testing and are happy with their OB's.

I do disagree though that it takes ages. It's a few prop/height changes whilst your out enjoying the water, probably a couple of hours in total which pays dividends for the life of your setup. Better handling, quicker on the plane, more responsive, maybe faster, maybe use less fuel, less wear on your OB.
Even you appreciated the difference when it was suggested that your T40 would probably run better with the OB in a different trim pin hole, a simple, no faff improvement which could have been done whilst out on the water.

As you say, each to their own.