Old 25 May 2023, 18:52   #1

Town: Edinburgh
Length: 4m +
Tohatsu M18E2

Hi all, I’ve got an Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke outboard that when tested in the water would die at high revs.
I’ve fitted new plugs, new fuel and stripped and given the carbs a good clean.
I found the mixture screw was excessively turned out (by previous owner) so have tried to reset it while running the outboard in a large bucket of water, listening to it carefully and using my tachometer to help find the highest idle, then adjusting the idle screw to set the revs. It seems to be running fine now with the mixture screw at 2 turns out, but not yet had a chance to take the boat out and test it in the water.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this outboard and knows what the correct setting should be for the mixture screw? I have the manual, but there’s no mention of it in there.

Like I’ve said, it does sound ok now, but just looking for a bit advice to see how close I am to the recommended setting before hitting the water (to put my mind at ease lol)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Old 03 June 2023, 14:26   #2

Town: Falun
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk 2c
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20A
I had one of those engines. Very good engine! Unfortunately I don't know the idle screw setting, but if it dies at high revs I would check the fuel pump and try to manually pump the primer bulb when running to see if that makes a difference.

I had the same problem on another outboard. Turns out it was missing the center, top gasket in the float bowl in the carburettor. So the carb was leaking inside.
Old 03 June 2023, 19:00   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I often set the mixture screw by screwing in until revs start to reduce... then screwing out to the same effect... then set halfway between the two plus 1/4 turn out. You should be setting an idle of about 700rpm with the prop in water and in gear.