Old 01 March 2013, 00:57   #1

Town: sydney
Boat name: marino
Make: walker bay
Length: 9m +
Engine: outboard/petrol
tohtsu M 4 C

hi to all in the form.,
i m new in the forum,plus new on outboard engines, just to know if i m on the right track with a tohatsu 2 stroke m 4 c on a walker bay 10R hipalong tube chambers.
have advice to chose a 4 hp max for this hull ,with a total wight of 20 kl motor
?soul this will be plenty of power for the" walker " up to 6 knot . ?
do i have the right outboard?
looking for advice
john
Old 04 March 2013, 16:41   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Welcome to Ribnet,

If you haven't bough any engine yet, prefferibly go for a 5 HP, it's same size and weight of it's detuned younger 4 HP brother, has better punch. Anyway what's that size rib and max HP specs for that WB rib ? Probably a bit underpowered with a 4..

Happy Boating
Old 05 March 2013, 05:23   #3

hi LocoZ, yes i have bought the boat with this 4hp x2 stroke tohatsu,the tinny is a walker bay 10 R is not a rib exactly a hard impact hull made from especial marine polypropylene
injection molded one pic only width 145 cm-length 295 cm- weight 57 kg -max hp 6 hp
load 3-4 person you can add a hipalong tube around the gunwale/ a sail kit/a polypropylene
keel-and tiler /or motoring ,this are a displacement hull speed will be dictate by length,
yes i m agree with you the 5 hp have a better punch plus a extra fuel tank intake
but it will be used as a pleasure tender from my boat and a sailing to. my concern is on the extra wight with other big motor like a 6 hp 26 kg + fuel drag will be to heavy with 3 person on board speed wont change much only extra fuel consuming . gracias por tu gentilesa i advice un amigo uruguayo en australia .
Old 05 March 2013, 13:20   #4

Hola Juan Carlos,

If you swap the 4C carb for a 5 B/BS HP carb will have a much better performance, both engines have same CC, the 4 is the detuned version. Check with Tohatsu Australia, carb part is 78BC and code 368032002 should cost around $ 100 bit less/more.

Happy Boating
Old 05 March 2013, 21:05   #5

hola Loco z.thanks for you info,looks like that you know a lot about outboards engines,i m new with petrol outboards ,more familiar with( diesel) .,yes i ll check the carb today ,will you please tel me about the fuel feeding ,this model have't extra fuel tank, ,so i ll
need more fuel to run than 2.5 liters integrate tank working only by gravity , i my have to adapt a fuel pump to?

cheers
J Carlos
Old 05 March 2013, 22:15   #6

JC

I happen to own and sell Tohatsu engines down here, have tried most up to 40 C. That model along with the 5 comes with a separate 3 gal exterior tank that works independently from the upper small tank. Side to engine will find a fuel valve, one position closes the ext tank feed working just with the upper tank by gravity.

In the other position you close upper tank to work with ext one. Just read owner manual to get the idea. 4 & 5 models have already a integrated fuel pump side to carb, must prime fuel bulb for first time when connecting ext tank..

You'll be amazed on how little fuel those horses consumes. A ext 3 gal tank will give much more autonomy and no fuel spills if ever refuelling upper tank.

Happy Boating
Old 06 March 2013, 07:11   #7

hola Loco.z''., yes your info is ok .but in this M 4 c motor the valve looks one way only,
the integrate fuel pump is with the carb .,do i have to change the valve?
sorry but the dealers in here don t have idea about it., asking for a carb 5b price $225
aus +fitting, the engine is only 2 mans old ,i m thinking to connecting the fuel house my self with your advice if ok by you ,i find all the tohatsu part info in internet and code numbers ,only i make sure to do the right job ,
if you don t mine a little sketch will help , the autonomy and fuel spills are my concern
best regards
un amigo uruguayo
J Carlos
Old 06 March 2013, 13:30   #8

JC

It's just an open or close fuel cock position, lever should have a sticker side indicating which tank you are using. $ 225 sounds expensive, definitely a distance issue. Will check with a USA Tohatsu dealer, probably could be shipped to you at a much less price or with somebody travelling to Australia if you would like to count with better engine power. No need to change anything.

Happy Boating