Old 01 April 2012, 22:33   #1

Town: Cork
Boat name: Sea Borne
Make: Redbay 750
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300 hp O/B
RIBase
Volvo Penta DPR Drive Leaking Trim Ram

I am looking for any info. that anyone may have with regard to either changing (this is the costly option)or rebuilding the trim rams on my outdrive the starboard ram is leaking hydraulic fluid. Has anyone any experience with rebuilding the ram in situ. as trying to get it out looks next to impossible, any help greatly appreciated..
Old 05 April 2012, 16:21   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Ram

, I have a Volvo DP drive and was considering rebuilding the rams with a repair kit from the US available on eBay 160773196346 is the item number for the kit I need but they will do any one. There is even a tool provided to unscrew the top. What boat is it fitted to.
Old 05 April 2012, 17:24   #3

Town: Cork
Boat name: Sea Borne
Make: Redbay 750
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300 hp O/B
RIBase
Hi.

I have got more info on how to do a rebuild on another forum "Motor Boats Monthly" their is a post on there by jparham titled "Think I mended my KAD 32 DPE Rams" if you do a search on this it will give you pictures of the rebuild that he carried out on his own rams. Since viewing the post I have stripped down the leaking ram on my outdrive which is a Volvo Penta DPR drive. I was looking for a tool to remove the end from the ram and looked at the type of spanner used for changing the disc on an angle grinder,luckily for me when I tapped the ram end with a dot punch it started to open fairly easy so I proceeded with it's removal and was able to pull out the plunger of the ram intact, all of this was done with the ram attached to the transom shield as when I tried to open this end which is in the engine bay it would not budge. Thats as far as I have got for the moment I will update progress if you are interested I plan to take the ram plunger into a local hydraulic firm in Cork next week to get new O rings. Oh yeah the boat in question is an Excalibur 8.7 mt wrap around fitted with a VP D6 350hp.
Liam.