Old 07 August 2012, 07:51   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Weak Mounts...

Hi,

We took the RIB to a mechanic yesterday to get the carburettors cleaned as the engine was stalling/flooding whilst in idle. The mechanic mentioned that the mounts were looking quite weak, and i was wondering if this is a serious issue (so do we NEED to get new mounts) and roughly how expensive is it for a Merc. 2-stroke 90hp outboard?

Cheers
Old 07 August 2012, 08:15   #2

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Yes it's quite a serious fault and very common too. To do it correctly the power head needs to come off and midsection stripped down. Around £160 for the mounts alone, £250 for the yoke if that's worn too (usually is). Then you have labour. It will end up around £800, unless the engineer gets bogged down with sheered bolts etc in which case it rises further.

They get like that if they've had harsh acceleration, particularly if used to ski from etc. The Merc/mariner seem particularly suspect to fail.

If its just the mounts that have worn its been known to repair them an alternate way - by cutting the old ones off (grind through the existing bolt) and re-fitting the the new ones in reverse. Does the same job but obviously should it fail completely again it would mean there was nothing stopping them falling right out, which will regular maintenance/visual checks isn't a concern.not recommended if you have any play to the yoke though.

Give me a shout if you need any further info

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 07 August 2012, 09:22   #3

Town: Devon. uk
Boat name: bananashark
Make: me
Length: 7m +
Engine: opti 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
If its just the mounts that have worn its been known to repair them an alternate way - by cutting the old ones off (grind through the existing bolt) and re-fitting the the new ones in reverse. Does the same job but obviously should it fail completely again it would mean there was nothing stopping them falling right out, which will regular maintenance/visual checks isn't a concern.not recommended if you have any play to the yoke though.

Give me a shout if you need any further info

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
That's not an alternate way of mending worn mounts. It's just an alternate way of turning a wobbly engine into an accident waiting to happen.
Old 07 August 2012, 09:56   #4

I'm not advocating it. Just saying its been known to be done. I've done it on one of our own and it removed all play and extended the life of the motor. We didn't retail it though. More a test.

Old 07 August 2012, 10:06   #5

Town: Dartmouth
A shame you didn't do it to the one you sold me.
Old 07 August 2012, 10:40   #6

Town: Devon. uk
Boat name: bananashark
Make: me
Length: 7m +
Engine: opti 225
Are you just talking about the bottom mounts here?
Old 07 August 2012, 11:12   #7

Yes just the bottom mounts.

Old 07 August 2012, 17:16   #8

Town: Portsmouth
Thanks guys, very helpful as always!!