Old 24 June 2023, 16:23   #1

Town: Wigan
Boat name: Don’t have one yet
Which engine for 380 sib?

Hi all,

I’m new to boating and looking for some engine advice please.

My initial plan was to take my Power Boat Level 2 course that’s booked end of August, then decide what SIB and engine to buy. Now I seem to have found a boat that works for my requirements: inshore coastal exploring, anchor down to snorkel and generally just enjoy the scenery on a lake or loch perhaps. Said boat being an Air V 380 from Boat World. If I can decide on an engine, I just might get some kit together and make my maiden voyage in September rather than wait till next year.
I’ve had my eye on 4 engines and I’d love to hear your thoughts, ideas and maybe even real life experiences.

Other notes and preferences:
* Mostly carrying 2 adults and 2 kids with combined weight of no more than 250kg.
* I’d like electric start. Seems a no brainer, but also not popular.
* Lighter the better. We use an old VW camper. SIB will be packed away after every use/holiday and of course manually launched. Ain’t getting the old thing down many slips. Transom wheels all the way.
* Can’t decide on EFI or carburetor.
* Got to be 20hp. I’m certain of that.
* I welcome anything for sale or shop recommendations, preferably North West UK or online of course.
* Is there such thing as the easiest/best engine to work on when in need of repair?

So, the engines….. (I’m open to suggestions for others)

* Orca - cheapest option just not sure on this Chinese copy thing. Sometimes copies can work out, but not always. Carb ignition.

* Tohatsu - Mid range price with EFI and probably the lightest.

* Honda - Slightly more expensive but appears to be the quietest. Think it has carbs. On the heavier side.

* Yamaha- Not put much thought into this engine, but it has to be considered right?

Thanks for reading. Cheers, Jon.
Old 24 June 2023, 17:08   #2

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi Jon, agree with 20hp.

This is what I would go for:

EFI, lighter than equivalent carb OBs, more fuel efficient, could be wrong about this but appear to be more reliable. However, more importantly from your point of view, don't leak fuel from the carb when lying down in your VW camper.
Pull start, as electric start adds weight and you need a battery
1st line manufacturer, service, parts, hold their value if you come to sell.
Mercury, Suzuki, Tohatsu, Yamaha, all are good and very close in terms of weight. I like the Merc setup of everything being on the tiller, but I know some don't like it. I believe Suzuki's are easier to pull start than others. I'd go for whichever is available within your local and price range.
Dont know why, but you don't hear much about Honda OBs on Ribnet.
If you do your get to do your maiden voyage in Sept let me know, if I'm around I could join you if you wish.
Old 24 June 2023, 18:29   #3

Thanks Steve. Some great points there.

I wonder if EFI engines are like the modern day car engine and tougher to work on/fix when compared to an older car engine that would often have carbs. Stand a chance fixing my old VW, but this new stuff, I don’t have a clue!
But a great point Steve about having to lie the engine down. EFI it is.

Can you explain the tiller preference you have with the Mercury please Steve? And where would you suggest as a first outing? I will definitely give you a shout closer to the launch date.
Old 24 June 2023, 18:32   #4

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post

* I’d like electric start. Seems a no brainer, but also not popular.

* Lighter the better.

* Can’t decide on EFI or carburetor.

* Got to be 20hp. I’m certain of that.

Lighter the better and electric start are polar opposites. If you’re lifting a motor off and packing down your boat on a regular basis go manual start no question. Easy enough to pull start, save a good few kilo on motor and much more kilo on the required separate start battery.

If going new definitely efi. Lighter, reliable, more fuel efficient etc. etc. The nay sayers will argue too complicated but all larger motors have been efi for decades.

20 hp great choice for a 3.8m sib and no weight penalty over the 15’s.

Just be aware the Mercury, Mariner and Tohatsu are all the same motors with different hoods/ tillers and all made by Tohatsu in Japan. The Merc/Mariners at 47.5kg are substantially lardier than the 43kg Tohatsu mainly due to the big tiller.

We’ve run Suzuki and Mariner 20 efi’s and would choose the Suzuki over the Merc/Mariner. The first of the efi motors and arguably still the best, light at 44kg, less pull required to start, large AV plate and lower leg profile seem more resistant to ventilation issues found on many air floor sibs, and a lovely exhaust growl at wot. No discernible reliability or power differences in any of the current crop of efi 20’s.
Old 24 June 2023, 19:00   #5

Thanks Chipko.

I hadn’t given tiller set up a thought. I guess, until I’ve tried a few types, I’ll not know. If anyone has a few pros/cons that would be fantastic.

Understood about electric start being heavier. I can get by with a battery on board if necessary, however, I think the outboard weight being lower is crucial ahead of an easier fire up method.

I haven’t looked at Suzukis. That will be tonight’s browsing taken care of.
Old 24 June 2023, 19:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Lighter the better and electric start are polar opposites. If you’re lifting a motor off and packing down your boat on a regular basis go manual start no question. Easy enough to pull start, save a good few kilo on motor and much more kilo on the required separate start battery.

If going new definitely efi. Lighter, reliable, more fuel efficient etc. etc. The nay sayers will argue too complicated but all larger motors have been efi for decades.

20 hp great choice for a 3.8m sib and no weight penalty over the 15’s.

Just be aware the Mercury, Mariner and Tohatsu are all the same motors with different hoods/ tillers and all made by Tohatsu in Japan. The Merc/Mariners at 47.5kg are substantially lardier than the 43kg Tohatsu mainly due to the big tiller.

We’ve run Suzuki and Mariner 20 efi’s and would choose the Suzuki over the Merc/Mariner. The first of the efi motors and arguably still the best, light at 44kg, less pull required to start, large AV plate and lower leg profile seem more resistant to ventilation issues found on many air floor sibs, and a lovely exhaust growl at wot. No discernible reliability or power differences in any of the current crop of efi 20’s.
Can you help explain this please Chipko?
Old 24 June 2023, 21:28   #7

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi Jon, this marketing video from Merc will explain the tiller set up much better than I ever could.

https://youtu.be/tgvhJrOm-Hs

However, Chipko's knowledge and experience is far greater than mine. He has run/still running both Merc and Suzi 20hp EFI's and if he prefers a Suzi I would follow his lead.

As for maiden voyage, we are fortunate enough to live so close to the Lakes. Ullswater is a firm favourite with North West Ribnet members. Just let me know when and I will gladly accompany you if I am free.

Tags
sib