Old 15 August 2020, 18:17   #1

Town: barrow-in-furness
Boat name: cap'n imo
Make: seapro
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard, petrol
Yamaha 70Beto flushing.

Hi peoples, ive today managed to get my engine running after months of problems, but i still don't think the engine is quite right just yet.
Ive had the bottom end removed and much salt corrosion removed, the engine manifold has been de-salted as best as it could.
Ive fit a new impeller and exhaust rubber gasket.
I tried to run her up today and she fired on the second turn of the key, i had mufflers on, but the telltail didnt look strong enough so i switched the engine off.
I will be putting the engine in the tide shortly to try it properly.
I may have to run the engine in a fresh water bath prior to the tide.
Question. Is there an additive i could add to the fresh water barrel to try and remove further salt deposits?
I inherited the engine in a poor condition but I'm trying to improve the water circulation as best as i can!
Any help would be most welcome.
Old 15 August 2020, 21:57   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
You can use something called Salt Away, or indeed just white vinegar. If you're in any doubt about this engine, then do the head gasket, water jacket and thermostat. You can get a gasket kit. One word of warning, bolts can and do break on removal, and you need new bolts on a head gasket, tightening from the middle out when refitting to their final torque setting.

That said it's very satisfying to see water channels clear, and you know it's been done right.

My Tohatsu pees like a shire horse, and I did the head gasket a few years back. You can also use nylon strimmer line when it's running to dislodge any sediment in the tell-tale.
Old 16 August 2020, 10:49   #3

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Mako Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
Yamaha heads should have the torque and tightening pattern on them anyway, but go to half torque first then full. Worth checking the thermostat too
Old 16 August 2020, 15:59   #4

Town: The Muff
Boat name: none at the mo
Make: Bristol
Length: 6m +
Engine: 70 CES Yam
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57paulimo View Post
Hi peoples, ive today managed to get my engine running after months of problems, but i still don't think the engine is quite right just yet.
Ive had the bottom end removed and much salt corrosion removed, the engine manifold has been de-salted as best as it could.
Ive fit a new impeller and exhaust rubber gasket.
I tried to run her up today and she fired on the second turn of the key, i had mufflers on, but the telltail didnt look strong enough so i switched the engine off.
I will be putting the engine in the tide shortly to try it properly.
I may have to run the engine in a fresh water bath prior to the tide.
Question. Is there an additive i could add to the fresh water barrel to try and remove further salt deposits?
I inherited the engine in a poor condition but I'm trying to improve the water circulation as best as i can!
Any help would be most welcome.

Salt away is good but at £20 a pop - Use White Vinegar but flush through with clear water afterwards

Tags
yamaha