Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 03 October 2024, 07:20   #1

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Yamaha 75 hp CETO 2 Stroke Prime Start

My Yamaha outboard has the Yamaha Prime Start System and I have done a lot of research. It is not starting well when cold and I suspect the Prime Start Plunger. Looking at the Parts Catalogue (Link below) it would apear that it is part No 6H3-14380-00

When I search for this part all I come up with is a replacement for 69w-14380-00 but this is for a 40-60 hp 2 stroke. It also comes in 2 lengths. Any one know if this is actually the correct part number for my 75hp Yam 2 Stroke ? or what the part no actually is.

https://yamahaoutboardparts.co.uk/wp...11/2005-29.pdf
Old 03 October 2024, 08:03   #2

So after about 2 hours of Reading stuff I just thought I would give the emergency Prime start switch a try. and hey Presto it worked. I think it sort of confirms that my Plunger or some other part is faulty.

Also for others that might encounter this I was in effect starting this 75 hp CETO 2 stroke incorrectly as I used the same procedure as my older 2 strokes. So you need to know this:

1) These Prime start carb outboards dont have a choke. So no good pressing in the Key
2) Dont use the throttle advance lever on the control this is not good It makes starting worse. You can use this after a few seconds of it starting to warm it up
3) Pump the petrol/gas prime bulb but dont over pump it I found. Just get the fuel to the carbs which you can feel and hear when pumping the bulb
Old 03 October 2024, 08:06   #3

The emergency switch on the middle carb is not easy to see or get to from outside the boat but putting it in the 'Emergency' start position worked for me. You must remember to return it to the Normal Position after the engine is warm (say 40 - 60 seconds) as I am informed that the oil pump is not operating on the middle cylinder with it in the emergency position.

Her are the two positions from my Engine. You need to spot the little red switch. The pic on the left is the switch in the normal position and the pic on the right is with it in the Emergency start position.

You just flick it with your finger or in my case a short length of 6 mm dowel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prime Start 1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	146310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prime Start 2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	146311  
Old 03 October 2024, 08:11   #4

Although I can now start my engine from cold relatively easily. I would like to fix this so if anyone knows the correct part number for the plunger as my first post this would be much appreciated and might of course also help others. Or if there is something else this poor starting might be
Old 03 October 2024, 17:42   #5

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
For 75c you need part number 6h3-14380-01

69w-14380 fits last model 40/50/60 4 stokes. The two strokes use 63d. They all have different length piston.

Take it off the engine and stick 12volts across it and measure the change in length after 5 mins. You will not see it moving with the naked eye.
Old 03 October 2024, 18:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie View Post
For 75c you need part number 6h3-14380-01

69w-14380 fits last model 40/50/60 4 stokes. The two strokes use 63d. They all have different length piston.

Take it off the engine and stick 12volts across it and measure the change in length after 5 mins. You will not see it moving with the naked eye.
Many thanks that is very useful.

Searching however seem to throw them up in the US. But at least now I have the Part No

Tags
yamaha