Old 02 June 2021, 22:32   #1

Length: 5m +
Yamaha FEO 60hp advice

Hello,

Hoping to give my engine a good check over. Was wondering if anyone could tell me anymore info about it. It’s a 60hp Yamaha 2 stroke. I have attached the plate which is on it.

I am planning to change fuel filter, spark plugs, impeller and gaskets, gear oil.

Anything else I should change? Thermostat?

Any parts diagrams or workshop manuals? Can’t seem to find much about it online. Want to make sure I order the correct parts.

Finally any idea what compression should be on it?

Sorry for all the questions. Hours of googling hasn’t got me much

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4F83323B-5E58-4B43-84F2-6CB39DDE96BB.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	137602  
Old 03 June 2021, 07:37   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Someone should be able to confirm the age of this outboard soon. Once you have year of manufacture - you can search specifically.

This is a similar thread: https://www.rib.net/forum/f36/identi...eto-47234.html

A better shot of the manufacturer plate would help.

You should definitely check the thermostat, yes. If you remove the housing - then have a gasket available. You don't necessarily need to replace the thermostat, depends on the condition, but a wire brush (using soft brass bristle brush helps), and you can test in boiling water. Sometimes there's a sacrificial anode in the thermostat housing too, well there is on Tohatsu engines. Don't over-torque the bolts on refitting, tighten, then nip up.

Check the other sacrificial anodes too, and replace where necessary. Needed to be fitted dry, no grease on them. Also grease all nipple points. A spray of white grease on any linkage points wouldn't go a miss either.

Electric wise - check bullet connectors, and any corrosion on terminals then lightly sand and reconnect. Manufacturers didn't use tinned cable - so not uncommon to have electrical gremlins.

If it's got power-trim - check the fluid level. Use ATF fluid. On Tohatsu - they recommend Mobil 220, but if you can get a workshop manual, that will confirm. Quicksilver manufacture too.

On the lower unit - then replace the fibre washers on the fill and drain screws. No point going to the expense of a service to let water ingress due to these weak points. Depending on the condition of the water-pump - then renewing not just the impeller but all the gaskets and housing makes sense.

Compression - don't have specific compression, but I'd have thought in region of 110-120psi. The main thing is for the reading to be consistent across all cylinders. Pull the safety lanyard, and test individually.
Old 03 June 2021, 12:01   #3

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
If that number is 405451 its 1992model but registered for warranty on 5/1/94
Old 03 June 2021, 16:54   #4

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
I have just finished a service and general inspection of my dive clubs 115 2 S yam and this year we replaced the poppet valve, which was pretty grotty and had a bit of deposit on the mushroom and spring, don’t know if the 60 have these but if they do I would consider replacing. We also do the thermostats every few years.

All easy to do.

Cheers Dave J
Old 03 June 2021, 21:15   #5

Thanks for all the advice will get on this! When you say test the thermostat in hot water. What should happen? Pardon my ignorance. I’m not sure how it mechanically works.
Old 03 June 2021, 21:16   #6

Thanks for all the reply’s guys particularly on identifying the year. The numbers you typed are correct!
Old 04 June 2021, 07:12   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smagu View Post
Thanks for all the advice will get on this! When you say test the thermostat in hot water. What should happen? Pardon my ignorance. I’m not sure how it mechanically works.
Check out YouTube, there's plenty videos. Obviously clean up the thermostat first, lightly wire brush, or you can soak overnight in vinegar to remove salt deposits.

To test, place the thermostat in water that you bring to the boil. At cold it's closed, as the water heats then the aperture on the thermostat opens as the spring compresses that allows water to pass through and circulate if it was in the housing.

If it doesn't open much or there's no movement, then replace. You're probably looking at £30-£40 part. I usually use a smidgen of marine grease around the thermostat to seat it before refitting, but keep gasket completely clean, etc.
Old 10 June 2021, 18:51   #8

Thanks guys for all the advice, I'm trying to find a parts diagram/ workshop manual to make sure I get the correct stuff

Is the FEO the same as the FETO

Could anyone link me to suitable parts/manuals

Thanks so much in advance
Old 11 June 2021, 05:54   #9

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the advice, I'm trying to find a parts diagram/ workshop manual to make sure I get the correct stuff

Same engine , yours has electric start and oil injection. T model means it has power trim.
Old 17 July 2023, 09:10   #10

Hi, does anyone know if the gear casing for a 60 FETO autolube would work with a 70 BETO?
Old 17 July 2023, 17:28   #11

Town: Lancaster
Length: under 3m
Quote:

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/mariner-outboard-parts/60-2-cyl/6f0300311-and-up-el

Is this the same engine
Old 17 July 2023, 17:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_k View Post
Hi, does anyone know if the gear casing for a 60 FETO autolube would work with a 70 BETO?
straight on

Tags
yamaha