Old 05 December 2004, 13:42   #1

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
Charting software

Is anyone using charting software on a PC? Any comments on any of the packages out there? I'm thinking of splashing out and would appreciate any comments.
Thanks.

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2004, 13:47   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Have used the Garmin Bluecharts quite a bit - on my laptop with my trusty garmin 12 handheld connected - brilliant bit of kit - really clear and accurate charts. Great on a normal sort of boat but wouldn't like to take my laptop on a RIB!!!!!

Longest voyage was a delivery down to the Med on a Fairline 60' - no probs at all and could also use the laptop for all my other stuff. Glad i wasn't paying the fuel bill though!!!

Another advantage of the laptop/gps setup is it can also be used with Autoroute and Mapsource for OS maps etc etc.
Old 05 December 2004, 15:29   #3

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: D Hollins
Make: pacific 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 212 hp Diesel
i have the full worldwide CMAP CM93 commercial chart software on CD if you would like a copy to try it out - retails for 6k new! goes right down to harbour level....
Old 05 December 2004, 20:47   #4

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
I'm looking at Transas's NaviGator, or possibly Maxsea but don't know too much about the second one. Didn't realise that bluecharts could be used on a PC will look into that.. Much appreciated!

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2004, 02:13   #5

Town: Bella Coola
Boat name: Water Rocket
Make: Polaris
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin Yamaha 150 hp
Out here in the Pacific northwest of Canada, I'm using Nobeltec software and on our PC with a Raytheon sounder /plotter/GPS.
www.nobeltec.com.
I sure like it, when we are exploring the rocky coast line in the small boat I print up the sections of the charts needed and stick them in a large Zip Lock Bag and tape the lock closed- water proof and floats
hank
Old 06 December 2004, 07:58   #6
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
We use Garmin Bluecharts. The Mapsource software runs the charts on my PC at home, where most of the planning happens - then simply send all the data to the datacard/chip. We then load that into the fixed GPS on the RIB - works great.

You can also print off relevant bits from the PC and put them in a zip-lock back.

We nearly always carry big paper charts too (I forgot it once!!). Anyone else do this?

Dylan...
Old 06 December 2004, 12:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR
We use Garmin Bluecharts. The Mapsource software runs the charts on my PC at home, where most of the planning happens - then simply send all the data to the datacard/chip. We then load that into the fixed GPS on the RIB - works great.

You can also print off relevant bits from the PC and put them in a zip-lock back.

We nearly always carry big paper charts too (I forgot it once!!). Anyone else do this?

Dylan...
Haven't had my Garmin yet - prob a 172c - I have used the unlock code on the PC - do you have to unlock again on the GPS or is it just a case of dumping the data onto a card?

Also do you need a card writer or can you link the unit direct to pc and transfer that way to the card???
Old 06 December 2004, 14:59   #8
DGR

You don't have to have a card - but it was easier for us to do that than trying to get my home PC and a 7.8m RIB within USB cable range!!

From memory, you can buy a data cable so you can just plug your GPS straight in to the PC and download the required data. We just went the card route because of the fixed GPS installation on the RIB.

I've read somewhere (probably on another current chart thread) that your unlock code is created using the part number of your GPS device - but I'm not sure if this is true. All we did was register the software, put in the unlock code, and away we went. There don't appear to be any more codes required - although as we had already registered our 188C with Garmin, I'm not entirely sure. I'd like to think that if I got anther GPS unit, the software would still work.

Dylan...
Old 06 December 2004, 15:42   #9

Thanks for that - I see you have a 188c - I am trying to decide between that and the 172c - slightly bigger screen on the 188 but only 16 colour as opposed to 256 on the 172.
Old 06 December 2004, 16:13   #10
DGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Thanks for that - I see you have a 188c - I am trying to decide between that and the 172c - slightly bigger screen on the 188 but only 16 colour as opposed to 256 on the 172.
To be honest, I've never noticed the lack of colour. My paper charts only have 9 colours (including black), so I've got 7 spare!! I've no idea what I'd do with the other 240 on the 172C......

Dylan...