Old 13 December 2020, 11:05   #1

Town: Horley
Boat name: Desert Storm
Make: Avon Adventure
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
fitting new humminbird

hi, just got a humminbird helix 7, im a bit concerned over where to fit the transducer, the instructions say fit it on the transom and so do most posts on you tube but i think most of you guys on here are saying fit it between the bottom of the boat and the floor,i like the sound of the latter to save damage when trailering etc and do have an inspection plate in floor any help would be greatly appreciated my boat is an avon 6.2 adventure, many thanks, kingy
Old 13 December 2020, 13:35   #2

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
I've got both a Helix 7 and a Garmin as backup. The Humminbird's performance with the transom mounted transducer is very, very impressive... 40mtr at 25knotts, leaves the Garmin for dead. It will no doubt work "in-hull" but it would be a shame to compromise that kind of performance. The trailer never goes near the transducer, if it did I'd have far more serious things to worry about like, the boat parked on top of the winch post.
Old 18 December 2020, 17:08   #3

Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingy1 View Post
hi, just got a humminbird helix 7, im a bit concerned over where to fit the transducer, the instructions say fit it on the transom and so do most posts on you tube but i think most of you guys on here are saying fit it between the bottom of the boat and the floor,i like the sound of the latter to save damage when trailering etc and do have an inspection plate in floor any help would be greatly appreciated my boat is an avon 6.2 adventure, many thanks, kingy
Hi!
I've just posted about a Minn Kota transducer mount. It might be helpful to you. There is also a suction cup mount that's got some good reviews. And a pad you can glue to the transom, which will take screws. Personally, I'm loathed to drill hole's in the transom so am looking for an acceptable alternative.
I've never done it before and tend to spend a lot of dithering time when I do something like this.
But I hate the word regret!
Old 22 December 2020, 08:44   #4

thanks guys,i think i am going to mount the transducer on the transom after a lot of research, anyone fitted one? any help would be great merry christmas everybody .
Old 22 December 2020, 09:19   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
this is were i put my hummingbird transducer worked great [side scan sonar unit] hope that helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pics of all aspects of the boat 034 ss prop 21x13.5 other in same cond 20x14 ali 14x19 done 45mp.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	135869  
Old 22 December 2020, 09:37   #6

thanks jeff,looks like its just to the right of the first chine,did you line up the bottom of it with the exact line of the bottom of the hull?
Old 22 December 2020, 09:54   #7

RIBase
Quote:
thanks jeff,looks like its just to the right of the first chine,did you line up the bottom of it with the exact line of the bottom of the hull?
no mate with the water line, from memory i put a straight edge across the tubes and took a measurement from there because the tubes where in the water all the time especially at low speed, plus i think the optimum speed for side scan is about 6mph.
the transducer was the kick up type too.
just for info i had a Garmin also with a shoot through hull transducer now they are very good at all speeds.
Old 22 December 2020, 10:00   #8

RIBase
here's a better pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pics of all aspects of the boat 036 humminbird transducer garmin in wet well shoot through.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	135870  
Old 22 December 2020, 20:35   #9

Town: Dewlsh
Boat name: Gadget
Make: Osprey - Eagle 5.6m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DT100
If you do go down the transom route, I found using rivnuts https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS....m46890.l49292 with stainless p clips a great way to secure the cable and mount the transducer. They are very easy to fit and allow easy removal of the transducer without risking cracks to gelcoat.
Old 26 December 2020, 11:56   #10

thanks jeff, so if you draw a line across the bottom line of the tubes, how did you line up the bottom face of the transducer in relation to to the line across the bottom of the tubes ? hope this makes sense (lot of lines going on) thanks kingy
Old 26 December 2020, 12:32   #11

RIBase
Quote:
thanks jeff, so if you draw a line across the bottom line of the tubes, how did you line up the bottom face of the transducer in relation to to the line across the bottom of the tubes ? hope this makes sense (lot of lines going on) thanks kingy
If you imagine the waterline is somewhere on your transom which changes with displacement so a line from tube to tube bottom is a datum point, your transducer has to be set as per instructions level with the hull or just above etc so it's just a case of dropping the datum line to the top of the transducer bracket to give the theoretical water line level at that point. If you then mark out to drill and fix make sure you can go up and down on the bracket adjustment for fine tuning.
To be honest I set mine as per instructions and never needed to change it

Cheers jeff