Old 21 January 2011, 19:40   #1

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Garmin 551s to Garmin vhf 200i link

Has anybody done it?? ive tried for 2 hours with all the handbooks etc and still nothing.
Idiots guide to connecting the two so they talk would be great
Old 21 January 2011, 19:47   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Presumably they're both NMEA2000. Just a matter of connecting the units together with a backbone N2k cable I would have thought.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2011, 19:50   #3

Yes they are but, do i use port 1 or 2 and is it only 2 cables get joined eg blue and grey?
nmea high speed or standard?

Quote:
with a backbone N2k cable
whats this??

Ive always linked previous units with never a problem. this one has got me.
Old 21 January 2011, 21:35   #4

NMEA2000 is completely different from NMEA0183. The former (N2K) uses proprietary plugs and sockets. The latter requires connecting little wires together and using port 1 or 2 and choosing high speed or standard. N2k is much easier but requires additional cables in place to make it work. It's not dissimilar from a computer network where you don't just run a wire from one pc to the next, they have to go via a netwowrk switch (the n2k backbone in effect). Without special convertors, you can't mix and match the two either.

With N2k theres is no soldering or connections to make, each wire has a moulded 5 pin plug on the end. You basically have a N2k cable in your boat with a T-piece at each end and terminating resistor on each end also. You then have a drop cable from one device (gps) to the backbone connected to one t-piece, and another drop cable from the vhf to the other t-piece. You actually need a third connection into this backbone which is a power connection from your battery.

If you want to use NMEA0183 then I would suggest choosing port 1. You then need the Tx (transmit) wire of the GPS connected to the Rx (receive) wire of the VHF. You also need to connect the ground wires (negative/earth) of both devices together. That will get you GPS position data onto the VHF. If you connect VHF Tx to Gps Rx you will get DSC position data onto your GPS.

Hope this helps. Lowrance have some quite helpfull diagrams in their downloads for N2k setup. this may help
Old 21 January 2011, 22:40   #5

Thanks Erin, i will give it a go tomorrow, one last thing, on the gps, do i turn port 2 off if i use port one and/or vice versa?
Old 22 January 2011, 08:57   #6

You can leave port 2 swithced on. Won't make any difference. If you have achoice between N2k and 0183, I'd go the N2k route. Once you have a backbone cable installed it's much eassier to add other devices at a later date. You should be able to plumb your Yam into the circuit and get engine gauges up on the plotter for example.
Old 22 January 2011, 11:22   #7

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Keith has already said, but just to re-iterate you need an NMEA2000 power connector. Other than that you should be sorted, well worth setting up the 2K.

BTW The part number for the power cable is 0101107900 and you can get one from any Chandler for about 12 quid.