Old 27 June 2013, 09:30   #21

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffdavies View Post
Must adnmit, never thought that a red wire would connect into the ground, but it does.
And there is a prime example of whoever wired it up only having a red wire to hand at the time.......

Also a prime example of Rule # 1 when it comes to boat electrics - "Never assume anything!"

Glad you got it sorted.
Old 03 September 2013, 19:00   #22

Town: merthyr tydfil
Boat name: osprey
Make: falkland
Engine: outboard
HI

I'm back again. Still having problems with the gps. Set is OK, I just need an idiots guide to use the thing. I have downloaded the user "GUIDE" some 70 pages with directions bouncing from page to page. A simple list of how to is NEEDED. I have spent hours in the cabin pressing buttons. Would there be an user dvd available?

GD
Old 04 September 2013, 08:47   #23

Welcome back!

Yeah, Garmin User guides - or, "how many pages can we use to explain something that takes about 3 buitton pushes?"

No idea about a DVD - have you tried Utoob?

Alternatively, most Garmins run similar "modus operanda". Let us know what flavour it is & what you want it to do / not do & I bet you get an answer on here!
Old 12 September 2013, 11:42   #24

Been away from the computer so couldn't answer. Whilst at the caravan I suggested to my grandsons (1 @ 20 1@ 17) that they go into the boat with the garmin book and try to make sense of the buttons. Mainly to enter track and way point (fishing marks) and to name way points. They both gave up, one said trying to decypher the instruction book gave him a head ache. The unit does the basic job of sending info to my radio, but my etrex was doing that. The reason I went for the 152 was I could see the screen as opposed to the mini etrex screen.
Hope someone can give me an idiots guide to the points mentioned above.
gd
Old 12 September 2013, 21:13   #25

Errrrr.....

What, exactly, are you trying to do?

The manual would appear to suffice for the vast majority of other users.

Sent from my HTC One X using Rib.net
Old 13 September 2013, 10:00   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffdavies View Post
Mainly to enter track and way point (fishing marks) and to name way points.
Yes, that is a bit of a PITA. One of the reasons I have a GPS12 strapped to my console is that it is about a million times easier to take the handheld to the computer & load the waypoints than it is to type them into the plotter!

Remember that extra wire I was talking about? How do you fancy a wee bit more wiring? To connect the "data in" wire to your computer.... (this suggestion will work better if your computer is a laptop!)

I use a free bit of software called "EasyGPS" (Google will find it) which I use to manage my waypoints / routes / tracks etc. (it's simple, but does what I need it to do). I then plug the handheld into the back of the PC & press the "upload to GPS" button. I rarely use the waypoint entering on the handset itself, as it re-defines the words "laborious" & "tedious".

If you got a copy of Mapsource with the unit it will do the same job - If you can connect them. Unless the plotter uses an SD card for the maps - it may be you can carry that to the PC?

OTher way of looking at this - did you get the plotter so you have charts? Why not use thre Etrex as your "nav screen / trip computer / waypoint finder" (i.e the big arrow / trip time etc), leaving your plotter to show you what's under the keel?

That also means should your boat battery die, you have the life of the batteries in the Etrex to get you home.
Old 14 September 2013, 08:00   #27

Thanks for the help, I have my main engine battery, so no need to worry about battery loss and I have my trusty compass.
Visited a chandlery yesterday and had a look at the new base chartplotter from Lowrance, seemed much easier to use than the Garmin152. Mentioned to the manager my thoughts on the Garmin book. his opinion "like walking in mud".
Will still try the Gaemin and use your advice to use easygps.
Thanks again.
Old 27 October 2013, 19:54   #28

Hi

At last made up my mind and changed the Garmin 152H for a Lowrance Elite 4M chart plotter. Had a run through in the chandlers and it seemed to be a very easy system. Mind quite a bit dearer, still should have fun following the chart next season.