Old 03 September 2024, 17:05   #1
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Garmin Inreach Mini 2

For some years I've been aware once out of mobile signal and handheld radio range from any help if things are going pear shaped it's a big step to pull out the PLB and alert the boys. Hence since I upgraded my handheld Garmin plotter and decided against the option of the more expensive model with Inreach satellite connectivity I've wondered if that comms gap needed filling.

I've just gone with the very neat Garmin Inreach Mini 2. So far only set up and home tested the comms/mapping but it looks spot on for what I wanted.

For those not familiar it means you can text contacts via satellite so you could update a contact to a modest developing problem that may not immediately need a full on PLB initiated response but at least get someone ashore aware of your situation.

Also it transmits your tracking for the whole trip which you can Mapshare to a contact so they are able to view your track.

There is also a full SOS button that works via a Garmin comms centre.

As well as buying the device you need a Garmin subscription starting at £12.99/mth which seems fine given other boating costs and the extra level of safety it offers.

The main image compares the size to my PLB and handheld plotter. Another image shows some of the standard messages you can send to avoid slow messaging on the device, see the image of how you have to input via up, down and OK buttons. Final image though is of the default method of operation using the screen on your paired smartphone for easier messaging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inreach size comparisons.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	146105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inreach std messages.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	146106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inreach texting.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	146107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inreach phone pairing.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	146108  
Old 03 September 2024, 21:33   #2

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Looks an interesting bit of kit. Can you subscribe just for the month or is it an annual subscription?
Old 03 September 2024, 22:18   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
The plan I've taken out is annual but there is another leisure use plan, the Freedom one. However that is £34.99 per year registration and then the monthly is £14.99 for each month you need it and you have to pre pay those months. Part months used are payable as full months.

So my 12mths is £155.40 compared to say a 5mth summer only pre paid use inc subscription payment totalling £110.94. The yearly plan suits me as I off road cycle by myself all year in many places with zero phone signal so the device will cover that use too.

It also has a basic navigation function so you can Trak Back following a line on the (small) screen either turn by turn the way you travelled or straight to any previous waypoint.