Click Here to Login

Old 02 December 2017, 17:45   #1

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
garmin lowrance transducer compatability help

Hi all ,have aquired a rib born in the usa ,which is fitted with a Garmin 541s gps /fish , on my initial look i have assumed the garmin was fitted and only used for its gps functions as there is no garmin transducer fitted , and a seperate lowrance depth reader (2" smiths size gauge ) ,bear in mind i have only been out on the water once in this boat and other issues did not allow me to study the electronics ,
now finding a little time today i have been trying to suss out a little , first good news is the us supplied garmin does appear to have a local chart so thats very pleasing as i did fear it may only have us charts loaded , on further inspection i found the lowrance unit is dewired ,but then to my surprise the lowrance transom sensor (X4 type 83-200 htz i think ) is plugged into the cable from the garmin .........however garmin says no sonar
so my question is will a garmin work with a lowrance sensor ? , i thought i was up for buying a garmin sensor but i am now wondering if i may just have to investigate the current set up further , one thing i think i noticed is the garmin has a 50 and 200 hz option ,if the garmin was set on 50 hz option then could this be it needs to be set to 200hz to work with lowrance 83 sensor ? any help or guidance appreciated thanks
Old 09 December 2017, 10:36   #2

Town: Lohja
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 90
Short answer: No, just get Garmin transducer.

The long answer: No. Navico and Garmin use different frequencies and resistances in their transducers. You maybe able to somehow get it to show something but I would not bother.