Old 05 February 2017, 13:09   #1

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
is ais worth the expense

its time to get a new vhf for my rib and I have been looking at various types and I see that there are a few available with ais is it worth the extra expense the main places I go are Oban area and the Clyde and the forth there isn't that much commercial traffic around mainly ferries in Oban bay what your opinions
Old 05 February 2017, 13:31   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I don't think you'll see much benefit from ais in those areas there not exactly the m25 of the sea . I'm sure I've heard the ferries announce on ch16 their imminent arrival in Oban bay,
I've definitely heard them announce their approach and I usually only monitor ch16.
There's so little traffic in the clyde your unlikely to get into much bother there
Old 05 February 2017, 15:26   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
its time to get a new vhf for my rib and I have been looking at various types and I see that there are a few available with ais is it worth the extra expense the main places I go are Oban area and the Clyde and the forth there isn't that much commercial traffic around mainly ferries in Oban bay what your opinions

It depends on your budget & fondness for toys. Adding AIS isn't as eye wateringly expensive as it used to be, I have it & like it. It gives a better situational awareness, even in light traffic areas. CPA is useful as is the ability to see where your mate is (assuming he also has AIS )
If budget is limited, I would put the money into a PLB, they both do completely different jobs, but I would place a PLB over AIS in the gadget hierarchy. All imho of course.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2017, 16:33   #4

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Agree with PD on this. PLB over AIS if that is a choice.

I can only say that I have found AIS to be most useful.

It identifies all traffic around you that transmit AIS including yachts, other pleasure boats and your mate(s) as well, if they have it.
It also helps enormously in fog/heavy mist/rain/at night where vessels may be on a collision course with but you can't see them.
Additionally it fully IDs any vessel with it's name, type of vessel, course, speed, destination etc. This can be v. useful in predicting the time and distance to a collision especially if linked to your plotter.
Even if you don't use it for any of the above reasons it is fun IDing that "ship over there".

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2017, 16:49   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Even if you don't use it for any of the above reasons it is fun IDing that "ship over there".

And where it's been, where it's going, what it's carrying[emoji106] It does add a new aspect to our enjoyment of being on the water.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 05 February 2017, 17:40   #6
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
I wouldn't be without AIS again. It's a real confidence boost when the viz vanishes in rain or fog or darkness. I've sweated many a passage in fog, wondering where the "big boys" were. Not sure about you turkeys in the UK but our Lights guys are now sticking AIS TX on buoys and Lighthouses etc.

If you can get AIS onboard with a VHF then I'd say that's ideal. A standalone fitout later will cost more and require a lot of effing about with power, VHF splitter and/or antennae.

My advice would be to consider the networking first and the cost second. If you have NMEA2000 then stick with that (prolly the ICOM M506) or if NMEA0183 then maybe the Standard Horizon GX2200? The SH is nice as completely standalone with it's own GPS/AIS/VHF and thus in theory requires no networking to work, but using the NMEA0183 to pass the AIS data to the plotter would be needed to get much pleasure out of using it.
Old 05 February 2017, 17:47   #7

Length: 3m +
Were you thinking AIS Receive only or AIS Transmit too? I gather there is a first to market combined box due this year...
Old 05 February 2017, 18:57   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Were you thinking AIS Receive only or AIS Transmit too? I gather there is a first to market combined box due this year...
I didn't bother mentioning the £800+ product as it will be unlikely to hit UK shelves in 2017. It needs two VHF antennae and an external GPS antenna, so it's not as elegant a solution as it first appears.
Old 05 February 2017, 19:03   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I was thinking receive only as I was looking at a new radio I was thinking get one thing that can do 2 things for not that much more I can see what others are saying about spending it instead on a plb thats a good point
Old 05 February 2017, 19:05   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
And where it's been, where it's going, what it's carrying[emoji106] It does add a new aspect to our enjoyment of being on the water.
that would be a different aspect as well but I suppose your I phone can do that as well and show more than a basic vhf based ais
Old 05 February 2017, 19:06   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I didn't bother mentioning the £800+ product as it will be unlikely to hit UK shelves in 2017. It needs two VHF antennae and an external GPS antenna, so it's not as elegant a solution as it first appears.

As I've understood it, the AIS isn't allowed to share GPS data from another source on the network, the system requires a dedicated GPS irrespective of make model or type. Same goes for antenna. Receive only can share an antenna with the VHF, but a tx/rx unit requires a standalone antenna. So even a "one box" solution is going to need the extra aerials, the only thing you save is a bit of networking. The down side being if one bit dies, AIS or vhf, the whole unit is scrap.
Old 05 February 2017, 19:08   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
...I can see what others are saying about spending it instead on a plb thats a good point
Yeah. You could put it in your pension pot or donate it to charity either - all worthy alternatives...

But you know you want it!
Old 05 February 2017, 19:10   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Yeah. You could put it in your pension pot or donate it to charity either - all worthy alternatives...

But you know you want it!
I know but I am trying to justify it to mrs breezeblock i.e. the boss
Old 05 February 2017, 19:16   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
As I've understood it, the AIS isn't allowed to share GPS data from another source on the network, the system requires a dedicated GPS irrespective of make model or type.
Correct. That said, my Standard Horizon has an internal GPS (tiny thing) - not sure if that would count as external on a combined system? Even if it did - they coulda stuck a second one in for buttons?

Quote:
Receive only can share an antenna with the VHF, but a tx/rx unit requires a standalone antenna.
You appear to have Alternative Facts there Pikey
Old 05 February 2017, 19:20   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
I know but I am trying to justify it to mrs breezeblock i.e. the boss
Hmmm. Is she a keen marine electronics buff?

Mrs willk has a similarly unhealthy interest in my boating purchases. I generally run them past her as:
  • Servicing
  • Insurance
  • Fuel
All of which she knows are Good Things. I'm currently trying to fake a service bill to cover a radome install...
Old 05 February 2017, 19:22   #16

RIBase
Quote:
that would be a different aspect as well but I suppose your I phone can do that as well and show more than a basic vhf based ais

If you have 3G/4G that is, & where you are going that's unlikely. You can get all the receive features of AIS on your phone, which sort of negates buying one in the first place,,,, IF you have a signal. Personally I wouldn't buy an RX only unit, it's only half a job.
Old 05 February 2017, 19:36   #17

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
As I've understood it, the AIS isn't allowed to share GPS data from another source on the network, the system requires a dedicated GPS irrespective of make model or type. Same goes for antenna. Receive only can share an antenna with the VHF,
Just fitted one.

Stand alone receiver (Nasa AIS Radar). Cost £110 new on Ebay.
Instructions state "must not be used with an aerial splitter and the aerial should be at least 1mtr away from VHF antena". Shared GPS feed from NMEA0182. (4800,8,1,n RS232). Not had the chance to try it yet so can't comment on performance.
Old 05 February 2017, 19:37   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Correct. That said, my Standard Horizon has an internal GPS (tiny thing) - not sure if that would count as external on a combined system? Even if it did - they coulda stuck a second one in for buttons?

You appear to have Alternative Facts there Pikey

You've lost me there, however I shall clarify[emoji6]
If you have a receive only AIS, it can use the same VHF antenna as the errr VHF, via a splitter or indeed be combined into the same box e.g. Icom 506. However if you have a transponder, it requires a separate dedicated VHF antenna, is that better[emoji1]
Old 05 February 2017, 19:57   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Just fitted one.

Stand alone receiver (Nasa AIS Radar). Cost £110 new on Ebay.
Instructions state "must not be used with an aerial splitter and the aerial should be at least 1mtr away from VHF antena". Shared GPS feed from NMEA0182. (4800,8,1,n RS232). Not had the chance to try it yet so can't comment on performance.
I didn't think they were as cheap as that I was thinking about if it would be possible to overlay the ais onto my chartplotter through nmea 2000
Old 05 February 2017, 19:57   #20

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Anyway in answer to the OP...Nahh not really

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote